PDA

View Full Version : Kinks in last 1 inch of tail (Yes I searched)

Kinks in last 1 inch of tail (Yes I searched)

Earth Eater
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey all, I am new here. At my local pet stote (ma and pop store local breeders) there is a nice young butter motley about 14 inches long. I am interested in purchasing her but... The last inch of its tail has about 5 little kinks. Through my searches I only came across:
A) Large spinal kinks
B) Smaller kinks before vent
C) Large kinks after vent
I have no plans of breeding this snake, but I want to make sure it wont affect it health, as this will be my first snake. To reitterate: 5 small kinks in the last 1 inch of tail.

Best regards,

Bodhin Kidd

cornsnakeforsale_com
08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Probably won't affect it's health if it's eating, pooping and shedding normally. Pet stores shouldn't really be selling snakes in that condition though. I give those away.

Welcome to the forums.

Carpe Serpentis
08-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd steer clear of a snake with kinks for the simple reason that if it is a genetic trait it could be passed on to the offspring of any snakes it may birth. Just my personal opinion.

Sarah1228
08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
If you really want it & you dont plan on breeding it, I would get it!!! :)

Earth Eater
08-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Probably won't affect it's health if it's eating, pooping and shedding normally. Pet stores shouldn't really be selling snakes in that condition though. I give those away.

Welcome to the forums.

Thank-you for the welcome! I do agree with you though, if I do decide to get it I will make sure it is hugely discounted. The kinks are a long long way from
the vent so I dont think pooping and shedding will be an issue. I was mainly worried about it affecting it in other ways. But now I feel better about it!

I'd steer clear of a snake with kinks for the simple reason that if it is a genetic trait it could be passed on to the offspring of any snakes it may birth. Just my personal opinion.

Thank-you, but I have no intention what-so-ever of breedng.

If you really want it & you dont plan on breeding it, I would get it!!! :)

Thank-you:)

And to clarify,

this picture shows a tail almost identicle to the one of which I am looking at.
Does this help at all?

http://i.imgur.com/RoUNb.jpg (http://imgur.com/RoUNb)

AliCat37
08-18-2012, 09:54 PM
That won't affect her health, I'm with CS4sale though, I would give away kinked babies. However, I think I remember that thread with a pic similar to what you posted, where they were not kinked as babies, but it developed in the tails later in life. But as long as the kinks are behind the vent, I don't forsee any health issues.
The choice is yours! I have one kinkling and love her to death :3

crackerhead
08-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Most kinks are not genetic but rather incubational temperature spike induced. For a pet quality animal kinks are of no issue as long as the animal functions well in all other regards. Broken vertebra that happen later in life due to having a tail crimped in a lid or other such trauma usually don't affect the health of the snake either. Non life threatening kinks are more a cosmetic issue than anything else. So if you can live with it, why not give that snake a nice home?
I personally don't breed kinked animals because I don't want to put them at risk for egg binding etc.. But a pet animal doesn't have this limitation.

Terri

Sarah1228
08-18-2012, 11:02 PM
That's what I figured it looked like. The only thing I would think you would have to pay attention to is if there's difficulty shedding in that area? Just get the snake!!! Lol DO IT!!!

Earth Eater
08-18-2012, 11:10 PM
That won't affect her health, I'm with CS4sale though, I would give away kinked babies. However, I think I remember that thread with a pic similar to what you posted, where they were not kinked as babies, but it developed in the tails later in life. But as long as the kinks are behind the vent, I don't forsee any health issues.
The choice is yours! I have one kinkling and love her to death :3

Thank-you very much! You are all so helpfull!

Most kinks are not genetic but rather incubational temperature spike induced. For a pet quality animal kinks are of no issue as long as the animal functions well in all other regards. Broken vertebra that happen later in life due to having a tail crimped in a lid or other such trauma usually don't affect the health of the snake either. Non life threatening kinks are more a cosmetic issue than anything else. So if you can live with it, why not give that snake a nice home?
I personally don't breed kinked animals because I don't want to put them at risk for egg binding etc.. But a pet animal doesn't have this limitation.

Terri

Wow, thank-you for the info! Once again, I feel much better knowing this^!

That's what I figured it looked like. The only thing I would think you would have to pay attention to is if there's difficulty shedding in that area? Just get the snake!!! Lol DO IT!!!

I am trying!! Thanks a ton:rofl:

cornsnakeforsale_com
08-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Yes, be sure to pay attention and assist the snake if the last portion of the shed doesn't come off. If left there for a couple of cycles it kills the flesh beneath it.

bitsy
08-19-2012, 04:09 AM
For a non-breeder, as long as it's otherwise healthy I don't see a problem. If the kinks were nearer the vent it might have affected it's ability to move to poop, but otherwise I think you're fine if you've fallen in love with it!

But do see if you can negotiate a discount with the shop. They shouldn't really be selling it at all, let alone at full price. Although it's clearly your ideal Corn (and we've all seen and bought them!) they need to understand that they shouldn't be rewarded for selling potentially injured or deformed snakes. It's not the sort of thing that we ought to encourage.

Nanci
08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I hatched this kinked snake last season. Krinkle is the result of retained sperm from the previous year. He is growing and thriving. He was so adorable I had to keep him!! Krinkle has a whole fan club at my work and has helped a couple snake-phobics get over their fear of snakes!

Earth Eater
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM
For a non-breeder, as long as it's otherwise healthy I don't see a problem. If the kinks were nearer the vent it might have affected it's ability to move to poop, but otherwise I think you're fine if you've fallen in love with it!

But do see if you can negotiate a discount with the shop. They shouldn't really be selling it at all, let alone at full price. Although it's clearly your ideal Corn (and we've all seen and bought them!) they need to understand that they shouldn't be rewarded for selling potentially injured or deformed snakes. It's not the sort of thing that we ought to encourage.

I certainly will negotiate! Thank-you so much! I have never recieved so much fantastic information and help in my first day of joining a forum:)

I hatched this kinked snake last season. Krinkle is the result of retained sperm from the previous year. He is growing and thriving. He was so adorable I had to keep him!! Krinkle has a whole fan club at my work and has helped a couple snake-phobics get over their fear of snakes!

Awww:) Krinkle is a cutie! Thank-you so much!