PDA

View Full Version : My snake Likes to swim

My snake Likes to swim

DipCope
08-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey Im new to the forum and have been just reading around just getting a feel for it. It is an awesome site by the way. I recently took my juvenille corn snake out side and let him explore the wilds of my lawn. After about five minutes he made his way over to the pool, I was interested to see what he would do I stood by and watched. He got to the edge and lowered himself in and started swimming around. I was worried about it getting harmed from any possible chemicals in the pool or if it isn't a big deal. Thanks in advance!

bitsy
08-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I'd be worried about the chemicals as well. Also him swimming into vents, overflows, hoses etc. and escaping. Plus birds can find Corns an interesting lunch prospect and if he's out of your reach, you won't be able to protect him from a rapid swoop. Can't remember who, but one of our board members has had a near miss with a bird when she took hers outside.

Some folks swim theirs in the bathtub for exercise and to resolve constipation. Perhaps a more controlled environment for yours would be better.

griff531
08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
I would think the pool is not safe with those chemicals and chance of escaping.The best thing is just to put him in a shallow bath tub and let him swim for awhile.

hypnoctopus
08-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't usually take mine out during the day in summer - it's just way too hot here. Yours may have just been searching for a way to escape the heat.

Only one of my corns seems to 'enjoy' swimming and I will sometimes fill up my bathtub with about an inch of cool water and let him swim around in it.