PDA

View Full Version : Shedding issue?

Shedding issue?

Nataiani88
08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I was just handeling my snake for a moment after having weighed her, and I took a really close look at her head....it looks like the very top of her head is peeling. I've had her about a week and a half now, and she hasn't shed yet in my care. And before when I looked at her face, she has little white specks in the pink areas of her coloring. When I saw these I thought that's how her markings are, kinda like I'll snake freckles. But now with only the top of her head(right down the center of the larger scales on the top of the head) I'm starting to think those 'freckles' are like I'll air bubbles in between layers of skin. I just put in a shed box for her, but was wondering what you guys thought and if there is anything else I can do. Should I use some shed ease spray, give her a soak bath, etc? I have pics of her in the photo gallery section under 'My Snows Progression' and you can see some of the freckles I was talking about in some of the pics. Thanks everyone!!

MysticExotics
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I personally don't soak mine for shedding. If one has a problem with shedding, I will put a humid hide (bowl w/ damp moss or damp papertowel) & let them do the rest.

I also recommend leaving her alone, & just periodically checking to see if she's shed. You don't want to add stress by handling her a lot when she's in shed.

Nataiani88
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Ok. I put in a shed box/humid hide for her already. I just never had an animal have a shed issue before and wanted to make sure I did everything I needed to do. Thank you very much

Nataiani88
08-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Ok, so I go into the tank to check on the shed box, was gonna mist since it was getting dry-guess what I find?! I find my lil one coiled at the bottom!! Yay!! So I misted it real quick n put it back. Hopefully this means she/he will shed soon. I can't tell if her eyes are cloudy or not with them being such a light pink color. Is it usually hard to tell when a snow goes into shed?

HermesMom
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Is it usually hard to tell when a snow goes into shed?

I have two snows and I can never tell when they're starting to go into blue/their shedding process. The only way I can tell is they don't come out to explore at night {which they always do}, then I pop their humid hide in their tanks.

Nataiani88
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Ah ok. I've only had mine for almost two weeks now. So I don't have her routine down. The only thing that might have been a heads up was during the last feeding. She's a good eater. Eats two pinkies during feeding time. But during the last meal time, she took one pinkie but was hesitant on the second. She did eventually eat, but I had to leave it in her tank to do so.

AliCat37
08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are the temps and humidity like and how are you heating her? The only time my corns ever had scales peeling was when they were heated by an UTH and it wasn't regulated.

Also, for my snow's shedding thread, you can check http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122200

I realize it is difficult to see the differences in the pics.. not so much in person. If you handle the snake a lot, you *should* be able to learn to tell the slight color change of when they go into shed.

Nataiani88
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I have an under tank heating pad on one side of the tank. The temp on that side stays around 80-85(with the therm nessteled in the bedding) and the cool side is around 70-75. I have quite had her 2 weeks yet and she's my first snow. I know what the signs are for shedding in a snake, I just didn't know that with snows it would be harder to see those signs. Oh, and the hydrometer is in the center of the tank with it usually reading about 45-50%.