PDA

View Full Version : New snake - slightly reddening under vent

New snake - slightly reddening under vent

JaimeVanD
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi there, my son just got a new Okauchee corn snake for his 13th birthday, on Friday(4 days ago). She is approximately one year old and is probably a little over 2 feet long. I grew up doing wildlife rehab, but do not have experience with snakes and have a few concerns.

I have done my research and she appears to be getting ready to go into a shed. Her eyes appear cloudy today, and I think her colors may be dulling some. The black on her underside doesn't appear as black as it did a few days ago.

My main concern is that, on her underside, just south of her vent....her skin is pinking a little. Her vent is not draining anything and is not red or infection-inflamed appearing, but it is a bit raised. I don't know if that is normal. The pinking skin from the vent down is really worrying my son and I. I read that their skin can take a lightly pink color before a shed, but this is our first time around and it's scaring me a bit, since it's only showing up in that area!

She is still quite active and curious. Her tongue is sniffing everything that's in her area and she's otherwise dandy. She ate a fuzzy 4 days ago with no trouble.

Is it normal for her skin to pink to the south of her vent, and is it normal for her vent to be a tad raised? I'm assuming the cloudy eyes are due to a shed coming, but some reassurance would be nice. Prior to today they were bright and black. I tried to get a picture of her underside, but none are coming out well at all. I've tried my camera AND my phone.

Thank you, in advance, for any idea's or assurance you can give us. We love our little corn snake and would be heart broken if something happened to her.

susang
08-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi welcome to the forum. Many things pics would help, saying that if you got the snake 4 days ago it is best not to handle them for a week or two. It sounds like you fed the day you got her, don't handle her it could stress and cause a regurg. As far as the pink skin?? blue can take a different hew on different snakes. I would wait until she sheds and see if things are OK. Is there some way she could have gotten a burn say on the light or the UTH being too hot?

JaimeVanD
08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly! The breeder I got her from actually gave me the fuzzy and told me to feed her that night. I feel bad that I didn't know better :( Posting the best pics I could get. Hopefully, that will help. No burns as she doesn't have a pad under her habitat...again, was told not to. We're moving her to a larger habitat in about a week and will be hooking her up the way she's supposed to be. It appears I was told many things that just are not so. Grr! Here's some pics.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12491
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12490
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12488
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12489

JaimeVanD
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12491
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12490
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12489
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12488

JaimeVanD
08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Okay, guess I'm having some technical difficulties. I put them in my one and only album, on my profile. Will keep trying to figure this out, in the meantime. Shrunk them to the proper size and they are jpg. Sigh...

gsdbecca
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Don't know about the pink stuff, but she certainly looks like she's about to shed. That's exactly what my girl's checkered belly looks like when she's about to shed. Check the temperature about the uth, and don't mess with her until you see the shed skin. I've read that shedding is like PMS for snakes. Kinda funny, but got the point across to me that she needs her space. :)

gsdbecca
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
That was supposed to say above the uth, not about. Sorry. And check on the glass not the top of the substrate.

Kate
08-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Hey, I just checked out your pictures, honestly she looks just fine, though none of your pictures are very clear. She looks like she's in blue, in a few days the blue will go away and her eyes will look clear again, and then a day or two after that, you will find her shed. Make sure she has a water bowl big enough to soak in, but easy to get out of, some of the snakes really like soaking, especially in blue.
What are your temperatures in her tank?
What is her tank?
What is in her tank?
Has she defecated?

Honestly, the line of pigment I see looks like it is just a skin coloration, nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on it, if it becomes inflamed or irritated in appearance, we'll take the next step. For now, don't worry until after she sheds, let her be. :)

It's good that y'all are concerned, shows y'all are good owners.
P.S. try taking pictures in indirect sunlight?

susang
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Ok looks like she going to shed, she may go clear and then shed the process could take a few days. It is best not to handle them during this time.
As far as UTH it is the best way to give them belly heat with thermostat and probe type thermometers. A 10 gal is plenty big for her for the next year, ultimately a 20L is all an adult corn needs. If you get a 20L make sure you have lots of hides on both sides. Aspen is a great and inexpensive substrate. You can use paper towel tubes for hides, kleenex boxes... the hides should be low to the aspen so they can feel tight. Water bowl on cool side. They don't need elaborate, but it is fun. If you get climbing things or fake tree make sure there is no way the snake can get inside.

hypnoctopus
08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
To post pictures:

Right click on the picture you'd like to post and select 'copy image location'. In the box where you write your reply, click the image icon (it looks like a little mountain) and right click the box it brings up and select 'paste'.

Here's one of your photos:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1699&pictureid=12488

JaimeVanD
08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Thank you all SO MUCH for your replies. I feel a lot better about our little Monty Cornelius.

It's taken me so long to respond because I am embarrassed by my ignorance. I am so very upset with the breeder that I got her from. She gave me a plastic critter box that is probably 8 x 12"....no hide....and reptile carpet. She had her in a much smaller container. She told me that as long as her length didn't exceed the circumference of the container, she would be happy. I DID know that couldn't be good so I have been working to prepare a new home for her.

I put a hide in, the day we brought her home. I am also getting another tank set up. I have a 10 gallon and a 55 gallon( 4' long and 13" wide), at this time. Starting with the 10 gallon. I got it from a friend. I washed it with soap, scalding hot water, and a plastic net scrubbie. Then, I soaked it for 25 minutes in approx 10% bleach and water. I have not put her in it yet as I have some more shopping to do and have to either make or purchase a top. Will buy one today, if the store has them. If not, I may make one just to get her the heck out of the thing she's in as soon as possible. Would like to get the 55 gallon set-up like a natural habitat, before too long. I'm not sure if she would feel secure in such a large set-up. Opinions?

I am going out today to get her stuff to climb on and some aspen or coconut shavings for substrate. Would prefer to get aspen but I think the local pet shop only carries coconut. Is coconut okay, for now, if that's all that is available? Am also picking up a small UTH. Breeder told me to not use a UTH or heat lamp EVER, and has her snakes hiding under their reptile carpet. So upset for my little snake girl :( Luckily, the outside temperatures have been in the 80's and low 90's. So, I have had my son leave his bedroom window open wide, and shut the AC vents, to help keep her warm. We have central air, so that is a worry for me. I will be traveling to the big supply store, on Monday.

On an upnote, she will be spoiled absolutely rotten! Her eyes have mostly cleared(still a smidge cloudy but looks like the edges are clearing) and I think she is going to shed over the weekend. She's spent the last 2 days in her hide, but appears okay and pops her head out to look at me when I peek in on her. She has a water dish that she can soak in.

As you all know, we got her on Friday. She ate that day and pooped around 6 hours later. She pooped again on Sunday. It was white and blackish.

I think that's all for now. I'll be heading out in 2 hours and hitting the pet supply store that's close-by. Thank you for your kind advice, is so very appreciated!

JaimeVanD
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Also, she has been eating a fuzzy once every week. Friday is her feed day. Do you guys think I should skip this week? Not sure if I should skip it because she's getting ready to shed, or perhaps offer her a pinkie?

diamondlil
08-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Sounds like that's a lucky snake to have you as an owner! Personally, I'd leave feeding until after the shed, just to be on the safe side. My adults eat in blue with no issues but I don't risk feeding hatchlings or juveniles that I know are just about to shed.

Kate
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
HEY!! I've been watching for you to reply OP ;)

I'm glad you are getting a UTH, don't feel embarrassed, when we got our corn snake, she had no heat and nothing to hide or climb on. She is MUCH happier now :)

For now, you don't have to waste your A/C with opening the window, he'll be okay, it is up to you really, I know down here in TX keeping the window open would be like throwing money into the seat, not sure about up north where you are :P

Now, about that 55 gallon, if you wanna spoil your scale baby, go for it.
BUT Wait, let him get settled, if you want to do a 'live' terrarium or vivarium, do your research on soil, watering, snake safe plants that are sturdy, how deep the soil can be while still letting heat from the UTH through, etc etc.
Not only that, your lil one is, well, little. Most people don't move them into a 20L until they are ~ a year old (I believe, people are welcome to correct me) as they are a little insecure as babies and can stress in a large enclosure.
Now, if you have done your research and decided how you want to set up the 55 gal, and that you would like to use it for Monty, then when you set it up if he is still a lil small, they CAN still do well in large enclosures with enough cover of foliage (real or fake) and hides. Check out the DIY section. HermesMom has a hatchling in an enclosure that I believe is the equivalent of a 55 gal, she has beautifully FILLED it with cover and climbing branches and a hammock and foliage etc to hide in, so he Hermes is quite happy. Here is kind of an idea
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123031
Now, some hatchlings may not handle it as well, so keep an eye on stress level :)

Lastly, the aspen they sell for small mammals is cheaper and just fine, it jus isn't shaved quite as small. check the hamster/guinea pig section.

(Shoutout) HermesMom, you should update us on YOUR scale babies! I always love your pictures!

HermesMom
08-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Here I am Kate, lol. And awe, you linked to a Hermes post :) I've been working LONG days, but have still been taking pics of the corn kids. I'll try to give an update/pic thread soon :) They're all doing great and Hermes & Nessie are growing so much.

OP, Hermes was a hatchling and I put him in a huge viv. The dollar store is your friend, you can find lots of fake plants/vines to fill it up to help them feel secure in their large home. I found that although his viv was stuffed with plants, hides and climbing things I saw him out and about more because he felt secure in there.

JaimeVanD
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Okay, now I'm getting even MORE worried! Her eyes clouded on the 28th, and now they look blue. I thought their eyes only did that for a day or two...she's at the start of day 4, with the eyes. Is this normal? I'm super worried all over again. She's still popping her head out of her hide to look at me and flicking her tongue. I just don't know what to think!

JaimeVanD
08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Sorry, she's at the start of day 5!

Soulwind
08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Don't freak out yet. Every snake is different. Heck, sometimes every shed is different :)

I've had mine go from normal to blue to clear to shed in 4 days. I've also had the same snake take 12 days to do it, although he averages around 7-8 days. So it varies sometimes.

JaimeVanD
08-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Thank you, I can't wait for this first shed(for me) is done...so I know more what to expect and can relax and enjoy the process.

I was told that Monty is 1 year old and that she has never had trouble shedding...but, I just adore her and can't help but worry about our scale baby(I love that term)! She's just beautiful and is so very sweet.

Her siblings are incredibly tiny. Was told that the lady has to force feed them pinkies. I swear, they look like hatchlings, still.

When I have more experience and know-how, I'd love to get into reptile rehab. Having grown up caring for wildlife, the idea very much appeals to me. But...I have much to learn, yet! Am so very thankful to have found you guys and gals. You ROCK!

JaimeVanD
09-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I am so very excited and relieved. Monty Cornelius's eyes were cleared up, yesterday morning. Now, we're just waiting for the shed. HOORAY! Thanks again, for all of the advice and encouragement. I think I have found a wonderful snake community and am learning so much, from you all :)