PDA

View Full Version : Crictor's weight and a feeding question

Crictor's weight and a feeding question

spyderk
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I weighed Crictor with my postal scale just a bit ago. I weighed her in a glass container with a lid. It weighed 320 grams. Crictor with the container/lid was at first 330 and would drop to 325 at times. It mostly stayed on 330. So that means she's 5-10 grams. That said, I gave her a pinkie on Saturday that was an inch to 1.25" long. The pet store said this was what she was eating. She ate it without any issues, and it's been 4 days with no issues. I haven't seen poop, but it could be hiding in the substrate (it's a darker newspaper stuff). There is no bulge in her body that I can see.

What do you all think about that? Should I continue on as is, feeding over the weekend, same type of pinkie? Or should I adjust somewhat?

diamondlil
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
5-10 grams is quite a disparity. Have you got any digital kitchen scales to get a more accurate result? I was totally paranoid about weighing everything in my early days, and would even sort pinks into 1g, 2g etc although now I've had enough practice to do it by eye. If your snake really is 5g, then 1g pinks would be sufficient, if it's 10g then bigger 2g pinks would be more suitable.
Having said that, most hatchlings take a pinky every 5 days without any issues and grow nicely until that no longer leaves a good feeding lump after a couple of months, then you move up the prey size

spyderk
08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
My friend has a kitchen scale; I'll borrow it. The scale stayed at 330 for awhile and then dropped a few times to 235, so I'd imagine that she's not exactly 5 g but somewhere in between. I use my scale to weigh my beardie, but he's never been this tiny!

diamondlil
08-30-2012, 10:08 AM
If possible get a kitchen scale that lets you put a tub on it then set to zero, then add the snake, that way you should get an accurate weight.

spyderk
09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Crictor was 9 grams on Tuesday.