PDA

View Full Version : poop frequency, slightly worried

poop frequency, slightly worried

hksyoban
09-01-2012, 12:32 AM
My new baby corn poops... a lot. I've read just about every thread on #2's on this forum and it seems the common problem is that they don't go for long periods.

anyway when i first bought him he had been fed the week before and he pooped 3 or 4 (didn't count it as i thought it was normal) times in the week prior to me feeding him for the first time.

after i fed him a pink on monday, he waited 2-3 days, digesting, and then just hasn't stopped. it looks quite healthy but i just finished cleaning out his SIXTH poop of the last 4 days.

and as i was putting him back in his tank after cleaning, he did ANOTHER which would make his 7th - although i'm beginning to think the last one may have been musking as my hand was in the tank moving things and i had just handled him.

is this normal? is there an issue here? with all the talk of crypto i'm getting very paranoid.

hksyoban
09-01-2012, 12:33 AM
forgot to mention - attached is a photo of his 6th overnight poop. looks pretty healthy to me?

bitsy
09-01-2012, 04:30 AM
That poop looks perfectly healthy. It can take a new arrival a few months to settle into a routine - their digestive system is part of it. As long as he's pooping and it looks normal, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just keep your eyes open for other signs of trouble developing. I believe that a swelling in the abdomen is typical of crypto.

I had an adult rescue arrive a few years ago who was just a poop machine for the first couple of months - I mean once or twice a day, despite only eating once a fortnight. Things settled down eventually, but I had to buy more disinfectant! She liked to hang her tail off one of her climbing shelves and spray... :(

Chip
09-01-2012, 08:51 AM
One of my Daytona pickups has had at least one small poo daily for two weeks now! I do find they usually settle down into a routine after a while. FWIW, that defecation looks normal to me as well.

AliCat37
09-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I have snakes who will poop immediately after I clean their cages. Everytime.

hksyoban
09-01-2012, 10:13 AM
ahh I knew i was probably overreacting but you know, first time owner. and i adore him. thanks for the comments - glad that other people have similar stories so i can stop freaking out so much. i much prefer to think he pooped just after i cleaned it as a form of subtle trolling...

he's pretty great otherwise, a feeder, active, hasn't pooped in his water dish or on ME yet lol.

HermesMom
09-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I have four corns and one of them poops a lot more frequently than the others.