PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally Hurt my Hatchling

Accidentally Hurt my Hatchling

RoseRed
09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
While putting a new hide into my hatchling's viv I did not notice that she was on top (she is usually in one of her hides at this time). So when I went to close the lid I did not see her and closed the lid on part of her. The moment I noticed her I lifted the viv and she went back into the tank.:crying: What makes it worse is that she had been fed earlier today. I am really worried that I have hurt her badly, I do not see any marks or dents in her but that that doesn't mean there isn't something internally injured. I am wondering what I should do at this point, I thought of taking her to the vet although I am not sure what they can do. I can't handle her in fear of a regurge (which I wouldn't be surprised if she did after this). I really need your help, because I don't know exactly what to do and I feel horrible for doing this to her.

Janome
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM
I'd leave her alone for few days an see how she is doing.

Chip
09-03-2012, 05:47 PM
My advice is leave her alone. When her digestive lump is smaller, you can examine her. I don't think there's much a vet could do, and you are right, a regurge on top of things is only going to complicate matters. Also, if it makes you feel any better, you are not the first person to close a drawer on a snake! Between you and me, you aren't the first person to do that this summer! Feels awful to hurt a pet, but I bet she'll be fine.

Zombiegirl
09-03-2012, 10:04 PM
i did something similar to mine a while ago...i put her in her feeding tub to feed her and shut the lid on her mid section.............i immediately noticed what i did so i was able to get her out of there but she seemed to be ok and is no worse for wear. i am going to upgrade her feeding tub to something a bit bigger with more room for her in the near future...she is getting so long and whenever she goes in there she is practically out before i can close the lid.

RoseRed
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone, Rose Red seems to be back doing ok. She is doing her normal adventuring around the tank (although last time she was fed she went into her hide for a couple days, but adventuring is a norm for her). I hope this is a good sign, I shall leave her alone for awhile. I have not seen nor smelled any sign of a regurge, so I am hoping/praying/keeping my fingers crossed that she won't.

AliCat37
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
When I used tanks, I had a really awful lid that just sat on the top, and it had at least 15 lbs of books on it, and I dropped the lid on my snake's head. He was fine.

I cried for a day though, thinking he was dead fer sure.

I still shudder when I think about it! And he's actually been dead (for other reasons) for over a year now.

RoseRed
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
So it has been a few days and Rose Red is acting normal, and I don't see/smell a regorge!! In fact, she made her way right back to the same spot at the top of the tank :headbang::realhot::headbang::realhot::headbang: If I didn't know better I would claim she was trolling me :grin01:, but since snakes don't have the ability to do such a thing......I guess she just decided to go back up there, one could say it is one of her favorite spots much to my dismay :o. But the snake will go where the snake wants to go.

But on a brighter note, she is now in blue and will probably shed soon :):)

Chip
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Congrats!!

ceduke
09-07-2012, 02:38 AM
I snapped one of mine in his lid once, it was terrifying! Luckily, they're sturdy creatures and he's fine now.