PDA

View Full Version : Age Old Question(Rats vs Mice)

Age Old Question(Rats vs Mice)

JakeTheSnake
04-02-2002, 11:32 PM
I've recently have been reading about breeding feeders for my three 2001 corn snakes. I know this subject has been an on going debate on others, but I am finding it quite difficult to make the choice. My main concern is that I breed healthy mice or rats which will continue feed my corns who I am interested in breeding in either 2003 or 2004. My first question is whether corns are capable of consuming a grown rat. Reason being is when time to retire a feeder I want to be sure my snakes would eat him/her. Also the big debate that I've read is the nutrition values, so I ask if any reputible breeds have said whether they feed their snakes mice or rats. Another reason being is I have limited freezer space, and also looking at the price for purchasing frozen online seems higher then the first time cost of setting up a colony.I thank everyone before hand for their time and effort in helping me make an educated decision on this matter.

Iris
04-02-2002, 11:55 PM
well I don't actually have any experience with rats/mice (my only snake eats pinky mice) but I do know that big corns can eat full grown rats. I'm definitely interested in where this discussion will go so I'm gonna be checking back often. thanks for bringing this up!

JakeTheSnake
04-03-2002, 12:03 AM
No problem, and I know how it is, back when I lived with my parents I had a large freezer to hold my feeders, but since I live in an apartment I dont have that luxuary anymore. Also if anyone can give me and idea what size sterilite or rubbermaid container I should use.

ijen82
04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I breed both mice and rats. My corn snakes happily take which ever I offer to them. I really dont see a difference in feeding them. I do have have two woma pythons where one refuses rats and the other refuses mice(go figure), but they both are gaining at about the same rate. Hope this helps...

bitsy
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Careful with resurrecting the dead - this thread's eight years old! I think the time for assistance has passed.

ijen82
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Who cares how old it is, I saw it and wanted to answer it instead of making a new thread. Its not a crime.

bitsy
04-30-2010, 05:11 AM
Hey hey, ease back there. Just trying to help.

Some new folks use the Search and don't realise when they've updated a really old thread. Then they're miffed when nobody responds.

Of course you can update whatever you choose, but dead threads tend not to get much of a response. It's a nicer experience for you if you can get a dialogue going and you're not just whistling in the wind.

ijen82
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm actually not new, I've been around off and on just under a different name. My man for some reason would not come terms with my old sign on name so I changed my name(some men will never grow up)A friend of mine that got her first corn just this last show PMed and asked the same question. Instead of making a new thread to answer her I found this one. I'm not ashamed to admit I can be a tad lazy and didnt want to make a new post for her. She said she would have asked here herself, but doesnt know how to do it yet. Shes kind of internet illiterate. Maybe I should have made a new one instead of using an old one, but I thought it this would be faster and easier. Sorry.