PDA

View Full Version : First Corn Snake; Feeding and Any Other Tips Appreciatied:)

First Corn Snake; Feeding and Any Other Tips Appreciatied:)

JayceeJane
09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
According to the seller, my corn snake is about 3 months old, and was living on a cricket diet. I've had Layla for about a week and a half now.
She still hasn't ate, we gave her crickets throughout the week, and nothing. She shedded the day after we got her, and her eyes didn't become cloudy or anything, she just shedded in 30 minutes after I put her back in her cage after handling her and noticing that she was jumpy and opened her mouth(which she has never done before or now). Anyway, I went to a(different) pet shop and was told that they feed their snakes pinkies, but their snakes looked older than Layla. I attempted feeding her a pinkie using tongs and dangling it by the tail, and she looked as if she was going to go after it, but then she began ignoring it. I attepmted to cut it up and feed it to her, but she's ignoring it again.
So... What do I do? >.<
Oh, and she acts as if she'll bite me when I go to pick her up, but when I actually do get her into my hand, she's fine and acts happy. Is that normal and will she warm up to me?
Another thing is that she is always underneath the wood chips I use as bedding, is that okay? I have a climbing branch for her but she doesn't use it.

I don't know much about taking care of snakes and I'm kind of worried I'm not doing something right... so any other tips about general care would be great! :) Sorry for having so many questions!

Chip
09-19-2012, 09:54 PM
First of all, whoever sold you this snake doesn't know anything about them. Crickets aren't an appropriate diet. Pinkies are. Before I start naming ways to present food, please read over Nanci's caresheet: http://snickersnakes.com/caresheet/ She's a regular here.

Dorgrim
09-19-2012, 10:23 PM
As far as the behavior goes! that is normal! even tiny bites cause no pain at all! their teeth cant even nibble through the skin :) trust me!

Thanks for coming here and seeking advice! Snakes are awesome and I'm sure you will grow to love your snake more than you could imagine! You can pick up pinkies at most local pet shops in groups of 3-6. good luck! I hope we can be a hand in helping you take care of your new pet!

Lyion
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
First of all, whoever sold you this snake doesn't know anything about them. Crickets aren't an appropriate diet. Pinkies are. Before I start naming ways to present food, please read over Nanci's caresheet: http://snickersnakes.com/caresheet/ She's a regular here.

I heard it was dangerous because also other than being unfitting nutritionally, their claws can tear at the cornsnakes, both inside and out. Is this true?

cornsnakeforsale_com
09-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes, you're gonna want to read up on their care right away, especially the parts about feeding and temperature. I recommend learning the basics online and getting a book as well. Welcome to the forums.

Chip
09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
I've seen enough snakes eat crickets that I wouldn't call that terribly likely. But the biggest issue is, most corns would never eat them to begin with. And if one did take them, I just wouldn't expect that hatchling to take off on an invert diet. I could be wrong about that last part, though.

Weda737
09-20-2012, 12:05 AM
All of the above and never underestimate these little escape artists. Just saying.

JayceeJane
09-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all of the tips! I aprreciate them! :D

Weda737
09-21-2012, 01:00 AM
I want to add, my biggest issue when starting with corns was freaking out if they didn't eat. Don't be like me, don't spaz out. Be patient and if you have any problems there is more than enough wonderful experienced keepers here that can advise you.