• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wont eat out of tank

lilmike227

So this is the fourth time I feed my baby corn snake, the fist two feedings he ate in a seperate been but the last two he refused to eat and only ate them when I left them in his tank. I know feeding in the tank is bad because they can ingest substrate. Since he is fairly new should I just feed him in his tank for a while and then try a separate bin or try every feeding before letting him eat in his tank?

I feed all mine in their cages, you'll be fine to do so.
You can give your snake a small cardboard box hide and put the mouse in it to prevent substrate ingestion.

I, too, feed in tank. As Ali said, put the mouse on or in cardboard if you are worried about substrate ingestion. Pop Tart Box, Cereal Box, anything will work. Put mouse in, put snake in, leave in tank until next day. Then take out and throw away box.

You can also use a plastic feeding tub that you put in the tank. Sandwich Sterilite containers work well. Cut a hole out of the top, and use the same process as above. You can then wash the sandwich container for the next use.

I'm one of those awful people who feed scores of snakes in their own cages every week! I kid about the awful part, there's nothing wrong with it, and I get bitten less and have no escapes now. Do what works for you and your animals. Some are simply too shy to eat after being moved. Others are in "beast mode" for the next couple of hours and dying to eat the next thing they see moving. Neither of those make ideal feeding bin candidates. Others do fine with it. One thing is for certain, it is not a must.

I agree with Chip - ultimately you need to do what works for you and the snakes, with the necessary precautions. If you have a roomful, then feeding tanks are very time-consuming and just not practical. I do feed in separate tanks, but then I only have 14 snakes and feed 4 snakes per feeding evening, at most.

We started feeding almost exclusively in their tanks...we only had one problem with substrate (the bloodred had a mouse that burst and she tried to eat a piece of substrate with mouse guts on it. It got caught in her mouth though, but she was very good about letting me remove it from her)

We generally put the mouse on a paper towel, although most of the snakes pull it off to eat in their hide or wherever they happen to be laying. Honestly, it seems a lot less stressful on the snakes, because they don't have to be moved after their meal and they can get straight on with the business of digesting :)

Back