PDA

View Full Version : "Small" Feeding Question (not exactly a problem)

"Small" Feeding Question (not exactly a problem)

Taybeh Chaser
10-01-2012, 03:55 AM
A couple days ago, I posted some new pics of my Zanjibil. Two of them showed him eating, and a few people commented that I should move him up to larger prey items. He is a year and a couple months old, and I have been feeding him two pinkies at a time since I got him in July.

When I got him, the guy who sold him to me brought over all the basic supplies, including a bag of frozen mice, plus Zanjibil and a cute little baby for me to choose between. I picked the older snake because I thought he'd be easier for a first-timer like me. Anyway, the guy said he'd be fine on the pinkies, and told me I could feed him two at a time, when I said I thought they were a bit small. So that is what I have been doing, though I've asked the guy to bring me some bigger prey next time (the frozen mice and supplies are brought from a pet store in West Jerusalem to Ramallah, where I live, which can take awhile due to heavy city traffic, especially at the checkpoint). I still have a few week's worth left.

My question is, in your ("your"-plural, as in "you knowledgeable forum folk" :) ) opinion, is Zanjibil actually OK with what I'm feeding him? Should I give him three pinks next time? In general, his health seems good, to my untrained eye. He shed very nicely last time, eats quickly and eagerly, and is active and alert.

(Apologies, because I already asked the same question in the Photo Gallery, but I thought here would be a more appropriate place to seek advice on this.)

bitsy
10-01-2012, 04:32 AM
It's always better to feed conservatively rather than risk over-feeding. At Zanjibil's age this means that he grows at a slightly slower rate, which isn't a heath risk per se. However, pinks have a low calcium content compared to fuzzies, so moving up to larger food would mean that he's in better condition to grow and mantain the skeletal changes which take place as he grows.

For that reason, being on pinks at his age is unusual. I'd give triple pinks a try until you can get larger food. As you can't get the larger food for a while, I don't see that you have an alternative at present.

RobbiesCornField
10-01-2012, 04:32 AM
I just looked at the pics again. I'd say it's probably fine if you bump him up to three pinks if you don't have any fuzzies. How much of a feeding lump does he have after he gets his two pinks? If you're unsure, you'd be okay with giving him two and a half.

EDIT: As usual, what bitsy said. Lol

Nanci
10-01-2012, 05:26 AM
If you are feeding every seven days, you can also move to every five days, sticking with double pinks.

Taybeh Chaser
10-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Thank you, everyone. I have moved him up to 2 pinks every five days (which he inhaled last feeding), and called snake guy (his name is Fadi, actually) to remind him that I need the bigger mice next time he drives in to Ramallah. He should be coming soon to bring my under-tank heater for the cool months anyway. At the moment, it is too warm to need extra heat. I worry more about poor Zanjibil getting overheated during the hottest part of the day, when I'm at work. I always close the curtains to keep the strong sun from hitting his glass viv.