• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stressed out snake?

IAmLink

So I just recently got three corns from Don at SMR, two hatchlings and a yearling. The hatchlings are pounding pinkies like there's no tomorrow, lol, but my female yearling I am having a few issues.

She's eaten twice for me, but the last time I tried to offer her weekly meal she refused and she seemed very stressed out. She has seemed rather stressed any time I take her out, I'm sure because she's just not used to being handled yet.

Her first meal took a bit of teasing, but she finally took it. Her second meal took even more effort, I had to get her mouse really warm, put her in a small container, and left her alone in the dark for about an hour before she finally ate it. Her third meal I tried teasing, and the same technique as her second meal, yet she still refused.

I've been feeding in a separate tub, and whenever I've take her out to do so she's always seemed very stressed. She rattles her tail a lot and seems quite anxious to get away.

I know she's only refused one meal for me, so I shouldn't be too worried, but I am still new to this and I just want to be sure I do things right. I've tried looking for an answer on here, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Is there anything specific I should do next time? I acted as though she did eat and I'm waiting another week and will try again on Tuesday. Should I try feeding her in her viv to reduce the stress of moving to another container? Anything else I could do?

I also have not been handling her very much. I haven't actually handled her at all this past week and, before I tried feeding her her third meal, I only handled her once that week and only for about 15-20 mins.

Any advice for a slightly worried new time snake-momma would be appreciated xP

I try to put all of mine in deli cups for the first couple of months to eat, just being in the vicinity of the food seems to help odds. When everything is over 15 grams, or about now, I start just putting the pinkie in their viv. But most years I'll have one or two really nervous ones, and those I try not to upset at feeding time. Shy or spooky babies often do better just being given food in the peace of their viv.

Back