PDA

View Full Version : Our corn died

Our corn died

corn2012
10-13-2012, 11:26 AM
We had gotten her on Aug 18, she ate twice but ate last on Aug 27. I joined this forum because she wouldn't eat. We ended up trying everything listed and mentioned. We even ended up giving her tail if she didn't eat. I was pretty certain that she wouldn't last too long without eatting.
Thank you everyone for all you help and advice on getting us through this time we've had with her.

Jessica29
10-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could.

Pugsley
10-13-2012, 11:42 AM
That is rough. I'm so sorry. I know it really hurts.

Teatime
10-13-2012, 12:57 PM
:( Sorry to hear that.

corn2012
10-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you guys!!! Now to decide if we get a new one... It's so hard, we didn't have her long and the pet store we got her from feels bad because before we brought her home she didn't keep her last meal down. They are offering us to pick a new snake out free...

Jessica29
10-13-2012, 02:26 PM
It's a personal choice really. If you're comfortable getting a new one so soon and if you're comfortable getting another corn from the same place you got your last one. Honestly I'd consider looking at some of the snakes breeders have available on here.

bitsy
10-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry for your loss. You did all you could - it's tough having to deal with the aftermath of a regurge followed by repeated refusals to eat. Even us older hands hate having to cope with those sorts of things, so it's horrible for a first-time owner.

nocturnalheaven
10-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm very sorry :( losing an animal friend is hard

gsdbecca
10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
So sorry for your loss! These scale babies can certainly wrap themselves around our hearts (pun intended). If you get another one from the same place, make sure it is a good feeder. Personally, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere. But only you can decide when and where to get your next baby.

HermesMom
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Zombiegirl
10-13-2012, 07:34 PM
i'm so sorry :(

BSLMichael
10-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Hate that that happened. If you aren't comfortable with getting a baby, you can always get one alil older and more established!

Good luck with w/e you decide! The people on this forum will definately help you with w/e you need!

Weda737
10-13-2012, 10:59 PM
That's pretty good they are letting you get another for free, almost sounds as though they actually care and aren't in it for just the money. I guess with an animal propagated as much as corns are, you're bound to have one here and there that for whatever reason fails to thrive. Generally they are very healthy bottomless pits, if you're feeding every 5 days an appropriate sized meal, they grow out of that tiny baby stage in no time. Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do. :)

dave partington
10-13-2012, 11:37 PM
That's pretty good they are letting you get another for free, almost sounds as though they actually care and aren't in it for just the money. I guess with an animal propagated as much as corns are, you're bound to have one here and there that for whatever reason fails to thrive. Generally they are very healthy bottomless pits, if you're feeding every 5 days an appropriate sized meal, they grow out of that tiny baby stage in no time. Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do. :)

There's no "almost" about that.

Linda T.
10-14-2012, 04:55 AM
So sorry. Sometimes nature is cruel. I know what it's like to put your heart into trying to keep or save an animal. I still remember my first snake that died. Even though we have quite a few more now, theres always that one or two hatchlings that need extra care. Alot of people seem to want to give up on them. I guess i'm stubborn about some of them. Some make it and some don't. Chin up! I'm sure theres another one out there that will thrive from your caring for it!

corn2012
10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
I want to say thank you everyone. Getting your posts have really helped me! I became a mama to the snake, trying so hard to get her to eat and I'm also the one that found her dead. Everyone was sad, but I think it hit me the hardest.
I brought her body to the store we got her from. We do not have a reptile vet here, but they are he best source for all reptiles here. The guy I had been talking to about her feeding issues every two weeks took her to examine her a bit. She had a weird encaving in her stomach, broke my heart to see. He said it looks to him the she had a deformity in her stomach which didn't allow food to digest. But when ever the store, or someone else has a dead snake they freeze them and ship them to a reptile vet to determine possible cause of death. I think for a research thing, he also said he likes to let the breeders know of any issues.
We did pick out another snake. My son did anyways, it is a normal corn that is 4 mths and her eating record is 1-2 pinkies every week. She is very pretty, beautiful bright markings. When we got her it was her feeding day. She ate a pinkie before I could even start wiggling it in front of her. Awesome, but weird for me considering I'm not used to the good eating. I hope it doesn't take too long for me to get attached to her.
Because of the store guys investigation, and us talking every week or so he knew I did nothing wrong. If anything else I tried more then he would have. So we got this new snake and an her first month of pinkie for free. He also asked if he could call every other week to check in.
Again, thank you all. And thank you to those who helped me with new ideas on how to get her to eat.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1714&pictureid=12568
In loving memory of this beautiful snake!!!

gsdbecca
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow, it's refreshing to hear of a good pet store!

Weda737
10-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Seriously, those people deserve good business. Wow.

Pugsley
10-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Yes, they are the kind of business we like to hear about and support.

I wish you lived close by. I've got an adult rescue I'd give you, if you wanted her. She got a bump on her back at the vent, but is full grown and doing well. I felt sorry for the owners as they really couldn't afford to keep her (but they were feeding her and keeping her well!), so I bought her from them. I just don't need her. Just a normal, but a nice big snake, that wants to hunt my Jack Russells.

bitsy
10-16-2012, 02:31 AM
But when ever the store, or someone else has a dead snake they freeze them and ship them to a reptile vet to determine possible cause of death
Unfortunately, freezing causes cells to rupture and makes the body deteriorate. It's very difficult for a post portem to diagnose anything from a freeze/thawed body. It's best to keep them chilled in the fridge, rather than freezing.

Still, they sound like good guys who are doing their best for you and the animals. Good luck with your next snake (because there will be one!)