PDA

View Full Version : Worried About Hiding Snake

Worried About Hiding Snake

Bexini
10-17-2012, 05:28 AM
My second corn vivien hasn't come out of his hide for 2 days, we a couple of pinkies on top of his coconut hide overnight and he hasn't touched them either.

He could be shedding but we aren't sure... he's a really nervous snake as it is but we are thinking if we don't see him by half way through the evening tonight we pull his hide up and check on him.

Any opinions/advice?

marieK
10-17-2012, 08:02 AM
It won't hurt to have a quick peek! I have 2 of this year's hatchlings and I make a point of at least seeing them every day as one of them did manage to escape for a few hours. Every morning even when I know they're in shed I make sure they're still in they're vivs. Just lift it up from one side and have a look. He's most likely in shed but it will put your mind at ease!

Graysonhawke
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
How's Vivien doing?

Bexini
10-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Well we peeked at him and he doesnt appear to be shedding. Red has gone into hiding too since we fed her, checked on her and she looked startled and then i replaced the hide. They both seem fine just don't want to come out, red at least ate,

Its annoying cos they were both out every night the first week or so.

Graysonhawke
10-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I wish I had something useful to tell you but I am a newbie snake owner and really am not qualified. My corn is constantly in one of his/her hides all the time.
I hope everything turns out alright.

diamondlil
10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
To be honest, snakes aren't much of an entertaining pet. If their needs are met they have no need to burn off energy, so they don't. A hiding snake (if there are no health issues) is a happy snake.

Bexini
10-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks diamond, only reason I was worried is cos for the first week or so they were out exploring and then suddenly went into hiding.

Nanci
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
What you call "exploring" snakes call "determining escape-proofness!!"

The shedding process starts long before it is visible to the human eye. It still could be that. I figure if I don't see a snake, that is usually out _sometime_ during a 24 hour period, for two or three days, then it is in the blue phase.

Bexini
10-19-2012, 05:00 PM
I believe we have come down to the root of the problem.. just lifted their hides to check on them and while they don't have blue eyes they are both very pale and have lost most of their colour. I believe from our research that this means they are in fact shedding?

bitsy
10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Yup! That's the blue phase starting up.

Bexini
10-19-2012, 05:21 PM
So its about a week until we see them again? Any key advice, I know we need to Check they've shed properly once they are out again.

bitsy
10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
The best thing you can do is just leave them in peace. They shed the scales over their eyes which means that they can't see very well - or at all - until the shed is done. They're very nervous and jumpy as a result, so handling or disturbance can be a problem. Also, feeding is best avoided unless they already have a track record of eating during a shed without regurging. Shedding seems to interfere with digestion for some Corns.

Bexini
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Red ate tuesday but vivien refused, but hed already been hiding two days so i think hes a bit ahead on the shedding front.

Will wait and see when they emerge all clean and spanky.

Bexini
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Howdy folks,

Snake update... we turned around after watching a couple of hours of TV and saw a complete skin strewn across the middle of Viviens faunarium. Then noticed he was still out and about so picking him up for a quick check and there don't seem to be any remnants left on him. Going to feed him tomorrow cos he refused tuesday and hope reds shed is as successful.

Night folks.

Charlotte
10-21-2012, 06:43 PM
He should be nice and hungry after his shed. :) Loki always gobbles down his food after I feed him.

Mags53
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
My youngster is always in her hide. I lift it to lift her out to handle her and feed her. She is startled at first but settles as she doesn't mind being handled. She's new to me as am I to snake ownership. I'm trying to keep her happy to be handled and she does take her pinkies when in her RUB. Am I wrong to lift her out? I'm afraid if I leave her she'll just curl up and die of dehydration or starvation. Thanks

bitsy
10-22-2012, 02:59 AM
My youngster is always in her hide. .... Am I wrong to lift her out? I'm afraid if I leave her she'll just curl up and die of dehydration or starvation.
You need two hides at least for her - one at the warm end at one at the cool end. In reality, I stuff as many hides and as much ground cover in the tank as I can. That way, she can sneak around and kid herself that she can't be seen. Make sure she has the correct temperatures, so that she can always find the right warm or cool spot.

Corns are very secretive and largely active when we aren't around. Don't worry - your snake won't starve or dehydrate as long as you feed her and make sure she always has clean water in her tank.

Mags53
10-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Thanks for that. She does have a hide either end of her faunarium, plus plants and a cardboard tube - with aspen substrate. She's got water (don't even know if she goes to it). Temp at warm end varies from 28.5 to 30ish when the stat kicks in, cool end around 17.5 to 20 depending on the time of day. For the first couple of days she moved between her hides but now I only see her in the warm hide.