PDA

View Full Version : Red spots on shed at cloaca

Red spots on shed at cloaca

Iulia
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I noticed the last couple of times my corn has shed there have been a couple of red dots on the underside of the shed, at the cloaca (one either side).

The snake is about 3.5 feet but I don't know if its a boy or a girl.

Never refuses a feed, seems very healthy, but sheds quite often (I have no clue what is normal). This is his/her second shed since August. Always sheds in one piece perfectly no problems.

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks

bitsy
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Think it's usually seen with boys :)

marieK
10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Yep, my boys have those! Nothing to worry about.

BloodyBaroness
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Males can have small red blood dots on the sheds. It's related to the hemipenes and the connected skin.

Totally 100% nothing to worry about normal. :)

Bonus, at least you have a really good idea that your little one is a boy!

Iulia
10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys.

On the plus side I'm glad its normal. Its only the last couple of sheds and I was worried he had hurt himself.

Also glad its a fair indicator of sex as I was thinking of having him probed and this might have saved me the effort ..

On the minus I was hoping it was a girl and could make sweet music with my amber baby when he grows up, who was popped by his breeder as male ...

I had a 50/50.

Oh well.

HermesMom
10-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Think it's usually seen with boys :)

I'm going to start inspecting sheds more closely, 'cuz I'd love to have guess at what our corns are.

SnakeAround
10-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Second shed since August for an almost adult sized corn is quite frequently. How large are the preys you feed compared to her girth and how often do you feed her?

Iulia
10-21-2012, 07:00 AM
He weighed 240g this morning, and is nearly two years old.

I'm giving him one small mouse (approx 15g) every week, roughly.

I didn't think I was over-feeding him, in fact I thought it was time he moved up a size, when I finished this bag.

He seems always to have shed a lot.

Here is a pic. Does he look OK?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll26/cjul/corn240g.jpg

Iulia
10-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Is that an unusual frequency of shed? I'm pretty sure I'm not over-feeding ... I don't try to feed when he is in shed ...

MindsEyeExotics
10-22-2012, 04:29 AM
He looks a fine weight to me. That does seem like a bit of a smallish prey item for his size so I wouldn't say you are overfeeding him. That is more frequently than most of mine shed, but he looks good and if he eats, poops, and seems happy then sounds like all is well. If you move up in size just keep a watch for him gaining too much weight, but in my opinion shouldn't be a problem at all.