PDA

View Full Version : THROWING UP

THROWING UP

Korny
06-18-2004, 01:57 AM
I don't get it... I just got my corn snake... its just a little baby. I have been feeding it pinky's. I have tried this twice so far. It eats it fine but after about 4-5 hours its throws it up.... Why is this happening? I was told my snake may have mites... Could that be it? PLEASE HELP

CornCrazy
06-18-2004, 05:16 AM
Don't feed or handle it for ten days. Only open it's cage to give it fresh water. After the ten days are up, only feed it the head of a pinky mouse. Leave it alone for several days again. If the snake keeps the pinky head down, then feed another pinky head. If he holds the second pinky head down, then you can feed him another in 4-5 days. I would feed the small meals several times before trying to switch back to whole pinks!

Be certain not to handle him during this whole time except for when absolutely necessary (like cleaning his cage). Even then you should just hold him long enough to put him in another container so you can clean.

One more thing...at what temp do you have him? Temps are VERY important! Too hot or too cold and it could be the cause for a regurgitation!

Rachel
06-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Also, I'd find out if your snake does have mites or not and get them treated if it does. It could be regurging if it has a bad mite problem (anaemia plus stress). Hope it all works out ok!

ronlina
06-18-2004, 05:21 PM
How long have you had your snake? Did he/she get a chance to settel in?...

Just to add one more thing, do a search here on mites and you may find a TON of information on the subject. do you see any small dark bugs around, in, or on the cage or your snake? That could be a big tip that it could be the problem.

Also as CornCrazy said - check the temps. They really are often a main cause of problems new snake owners tend to have with their snakes at first, coupled with stress from the snake. If you're having problems with that but fix it and your snake still regurges, then try to take your snake to a herp vet as soon as you can to make sure it doesn''t have any parasites.

MegF.
06-20-2004, 12:18 AM
The other thing that is worth mentioning is that if you are going to feed in the viv, make sure it's on something like paper so that it doesn't injest any substrate. My Aztec was pretty nervous about eating so after I fed her in the viv, I would cover the front with a towel to make it darker and help her feel safer. Keeping the stress down helps keep the food down.