PDA

View Full Version : RI or not? Advice?

RI or not? Advice?

Aozora
10-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure if my hatchling hypo lavender has a RI or not, and I'm worried.

I've had her for almost 4 months, and as long as I've had her she's occasionally made a sound that's a bit like a sneeze and a bit like a hiss. She does it when she should be mad (i.e. when we reach into her tank, when we lean too close to her, etc.). She will occasionally open her mouth as well, and I do see her breathing in when she opens her mouth. She tends to make the noises and the mouth when she is out of the cage, or, again, when she should feel threatened.

However, she does not have bubbles at the mouth, nor is there any sign of mucus on the sides of the tank. She is active and curious. She eats, sheds, and poops normally. She's not wheezing or breathing heavily.

The tank is a little warmer than recommended--78 on cool side, 87 on warm side. Humidity is 50%.

What is going on? Should I take her to a vet? Money is very tight, and I don't want to spend vet fees just to be told "oh it's nothing," and I also don't want to stress her out with a vet visit and injections and such if she doesn't need it.

Sarah1228
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Does it happen around her shed time?

My snakes make that popping noise when they're about to shed. it's the loose skin around the nasal passages.

Aozora
10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
She will click around shed time. She just shed yesterday, and I did hear some clicking in the few days before it.

However, the noise and the mouth are at any time.

Sarah1228
10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Hmmm, maybe more experienced keepers know what it could be? I mean if she's pooping, eating/drinking, and shedding fine. I don't see any cause for a major alarm. Sorry I couldn't help! :-/