PDA

View Full Version : freezer burnt pinkies?

freezer burnt pinkies?

yojoe05
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I thought I'd try the other pet store in town today because their feeder prices were about half what the other stores is. However, a lot of my pinkies have weird whitish yellow spots on the body and some had some ice on them in spots. Is this freezer burn and would it be safe to feed them to a snake or would the nutritional value be to low and it's better just to toss them? Most aren't bad and have just a few small spots but others have a quarter of their body this ugly yellowed color to them. If it's a case of bad pinkies and I can't use them then I'll be tossing them out and not going there again.

corn2012
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
GREAT question!!! I noticed that some of my pinkies had these markings on them but just got them from the store the other week.

Nanci
10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
If it was steak, would you eat it yourself? If the answer is yes, it's okay to feed a few. But I'd try to buy the freshest pinks possible. You can minimize freezer burn by sealing them with a cheap Ziplock vacuum sealer.

yojoe05
10-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Yeah the freezer burn is minor on most of them but I definitely plan on tossing some. The other store may be higher price but they're much better quality and I'll be staying with them in the future.

yojoe05
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
fed the only good pinky out of the batch then scrapped the rest and got some at the other pet store. Rather upset that I wasted 19 pinkies and 15 dollars due to poor packaging.