PDA

View Full Version : 9 days okay between feeds - 100g female.

9 days okay between feeds - 100g female.

foghat
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey all,

Ash is about 100 grams and is gaining weight nicely, I think. I have found that ever since moving up to hoppers (at about 78 grams - sept 5th) she has been more 'difficult' to feed.

Difficult in that it takes her longer to finally chow down - when she does chow down. I feed in a separate container, covered with a towel. I find that since the hoppers she just does not eat at 7 days. Now in fairness, the extent of my trying to get her to eat is to leave her be for an hour or so. Maybe 2.

Even at 8-9 days it usually takes an hour before she feeds.

So, I am wondering if I should go back to a 7 day cycle and resort to more 'drastic' measures - well not really drastic, but you know what I mean - leaving her in for 2+ hours, maybe braining, etc.

Or is nine days okay at this weight? Seems like it might be a little on the longer side.

Such a drastic difference from my son's snake who will often have the feeder in her mouth before you can even get all of her into the feeding container.

toxiclight
11-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Most of mine went to a 14-day schedule once they hit the larger-size food. Only my hatchlings are fed on a weekly schedule.

Chip
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
9 days between feedings certainly shouldn't have any health implications on a snake, but I'm surprised a 100 gram corn would be like that. I find that 50-200 range to be when they are eating machines. I'd just double check the temps and see if there isn't some reason. Is she by chance a lavender or bloodred morph?

foghat
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
She is an anery. Temps should be fine. about 82-86 on warm side. 70-73ish on cool side.

She was never one to immediately eat. But it was after moving to hoppers that I had to start spacing the feeding days out more. Maybe I will try 7 days again and just keep her in her feed container for a little longer.

Not really a big deal (I think) one way or the other.

Chip
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Try feeding in the viv. It could be the move if she's a shy snake.

foghat
11-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Try feeding in the viv. It could be the move if she's a shy snake.

Maybe. Worry a bit about ingesting substrate. Guess there are ways to minimize that though.

Any idea how long a feeder can be left at room temperature before it goes 'bad' and could harm snakey?

toxiclight
11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I feed most of mine in their viv, and haven't had any problems (I have a few that stronly prefer to not be moved after eating). If you're worried about substrate injestion, you can try putting the mouse on a small paper plate or piece of paper towel (although I find my snakes generally yank the mouse to wherever they're most comfortable eating).

I usually don't leave a feeder longer than overnight...although that's only with pinks. The big snakes rarely leave theirs for more than a heartbeat after it's dropped into their tank.