PDA

View Full Version : When to switch from Pinky's

When to switch from Pinky's

Bexini
11-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering cos we have been feeding the snakes 2 pinkies for the last few weeks cos they were still prowling after one. They still don't have much of a bump after two pinkies and are active by the next day. We are thinking of moving them onto fuzzies. I was wondering if the food is too big if they will still try and eat it and hurt themselves?

As a reminder they were both born at the end of July.

Rgds,
Bexini

P.S. Vivien and Red are doing well now (thinking of having them sexed this week), we are handling them most nights except the feeding window and they have successfully shed once. They both do this thing I consider quite cute where they nudge between your fingers with your nose until you part your fingers till they slide through.

obboi34
11-04-2012, 09:17 AM
it might be a little early to switch to 2 pinkies even. The system that many of us use as a guideline, the munson plan, suggests switching over to two pinkies per feeding at around 16g. My girl is several months older than yours and she only just hit 16g, though yours may be growing a bit faster. I would suggest sticking to single and double pinks for now, though you want to be careful not to overfeed.

Corns will often keep eating if there is food available since in the wilds, one social prey item often means a few more, especially when it comes to blind babies. Movement the day after feeding is normal too, especially as the snakes get larger. if your snakes have no bump after two pinks and are only 3 months old i worry that they are over weight or someone did not tell you the truth about when they were hatched. pictures would help some of us out in giving you the answers that you need. hope this helps.

Bexini
11-04-2012, 09:27 AM
We will try and weigh them tonight once they are active. They still feel firm when handling which I think means they are not fat.

ghosthousecorns
11-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I would concentrate more on the girth/ size of the snake than its age. If the fuzzy is 1 1/2 times the girth/ width of the snake then the snake can handle it. Also if it's been taking 2 pinkies, I would think it is ready for a fuzzy. And fuzzies come in a lot of sizes, I have bought "fuzzies" that looked like small hoppers, you need more of a "peach fuzzy" to begin with.
The snake may be a bit younger than most are when ready to switch, but it could have been a big hatchling. As long as you are not stuffing it w/ big fuzzies every 4 days, and letting it grow at a more natural pace, it should be OK to start switching.

RoseRed
11-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree weigh before, corns sometimes will prowl after eating because they assume since they have just ate one there might be another around. It's better to feed conservatively than risk a regorge IMO

Bexini
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Red is 16g and her head and body are about 1cm across

Bexini
11-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Vivian is about the same girth but he is 14g. He is a creamsicle though so I'd expected him to grow faster from what people have said.