• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray for mites on hatchlings?

Chopstick_Chick

Just picked up my new little buddy Sylar at petland, he’s about 3 months old I’d say, (his morph is a mystery to me, beyond him being amel) and discovered when we got home that he has a small patch of black under the rim of his eye. I should have looked closer when he was at the store, but his pattern and coloration were so unique and pretty that I just sort of went "I want him" after I held him and got a good look at him.

Later, I also saw a mite crawling on his back too, so I know what the issue is. I have read a lot about treating mites tonight, but nearly all of the products people have recommended seem to be unsafe to use on snakes unless diluted like a solution of NIX or a harsh spray like PAM. It got me so scared to try anything on him that I searched for natural cures and I came across this Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray. It says it is non toxic and reviews on youtube have looked good too, but the thing is, is that I know that snakes are sensitive to chemicals even as well-fed adults and him being so little I am afraid that even this "all natural" "non-toxic" mite killer, that I am supposed to spray directly on to him, will hurt him or even worse kill him. I am very afraid of this happening, but the mites under his eye scales just looks so uncomfortable and I want to help him as soon as possible.
Has anyone used this product on a young corn? What precautions should I take when treating mites on such a young snake? If this product is no good what others would you recommend for a baby like him?

The Nix method is tried and trusted. Natural doesn't always mean safe, the active ingredients in most herbal remedies are still to be used with caution.

Haven't had to use it in a while, but the "Home Made Mite Remedy" thread under PJCReptiles forum section works. This is the diluted RID/NIX method in sprayer. Only disclaimer is I've never used it on anything younger than a yearling. When used, it worked wonders compared to other methods. Some others may be able to chime in on the safety issue with hatchling use.

I use the Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray on all my new arrivals, regardless of age. It seems to work very well and it not harsh at all.

What I do for the really little guys is take every thing out of the tank/tub and spray the enclosure with the mite spray. After it dries, I wipe it down with a damp paper towel. While it is drying the second time, I spray enough paper towels to line the bottom and let them dry.

You don't want to use any substrate other than paper towels during the treatment process. I also take out all hides and use disposable hides (like toilet paper tubes) you want to make sure there is nothing the mites can live in left in the cage. Also use a smaller water bowl to prevent soaking.

For the critter I spray paper towels with the mite spray and let the snake crawl through them. You want to make sure they are damp, but not soaking with the spray. That way you get the body coated, but not sprayed directly on them.

If you are using the spray, don't do the baths. They are very stressful and will remove the spray from the snake. Treat every 4 or so days with the spray only. Baths are not needed when you are using a mite product and can actually slow the process down.

Know what I did when I had a mite covered baby? I set up two 6 quart tubs, each I used paper towel in. Twice a day, I got the snake out, I got a tissue and soaked it in baby oil, and I drowned each of those suckers one at a time. It's easy to do on a light colored snake. So I would look to see where I saw mites, hold the snake to my eye and held the snake face away from me so I could see under the scales, dapped and rubbed the tissue on each mite and wiped them off, flushed them. The next day I would do the same thing, each time washing out the tub and placing him in the unused one. I had no mites after a few days.

I realize this is complicated, but I liked getting to handle the snake, and I found it easy for me.

Back