PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bit worried now

Getting a bit worried now

ERJ
06-23-2002, 10:17 AM
My corn hasn't fed for 18 days today (since the 5th and he fed on 3 fuzzies) and he's never had any problems in the past. I can't see anything wrong with him (and he isn't weak yet or anything). i'm almost certain by tail that hes a male and hes about 28" long and is last years baby. please tell me how long until it gets serious and i have to get a vet and anything i should try to get him feeding, the temp/ cage is fine.

CornsnakeKeeper
06-23-2002, 03:05 PM
They can go a couple of months before anything gets serious. Don't fret too too much. has he went to the bathroom since the feeding? Did he regurgitate the mice? Check through his bedding to find out. If he regurgitated them, they won't look processed. The meal may have stressed him out since it is usually better to feed one appropriately sized food item rather than many even if they are smaller. Let him rest for a few days. Repeated trying will stress him out. Try again and let us know how it goes. Maybe leave him in a sealed deli cup (w/ air holes of course) with it overnight. The closed in space will make it so he can't avoid running into the mouse. Good luck to ya!

Katie
06-23-2002, 03:21 PM
You said your snake is a male, this makes me think that maybe he is fasting for breeding season. Alot of males refuse food and seem anxious and roam around a bit for a few weeks this time of the year. That could be all it is....

ERJ
06-23-2002, 06:15 PM
I thought of that too but does it affect males if they aren't sexually mature? -28" and last years baby?

Colleen
06-23-2002, 08:58 PM
OK I'm confused! I thought that it was BETTER to feed 2 smaller foods than One LARGE food item?!?! Easier to digest and not as stressful! Help

Colleen:confused:

CornsnakeKeeper
06-24-2002, 07:21 AM
I'll look it up and find out...
I always thought that more is more stress...

And, yes, he could be sexually mature. Corns as young as 7 months (I believe thats right) have bred accidentally and males can breed very early without complications.

Colleen
06-25-2002, 02:43 AM
Just like a guy..... all the fun ...none of the PAIN!!!!!LOL

Just a joke guys!!! No offence intended!!!!;) We gals know you have it tuff too!!! OK DIDO ^^^^^^

:D Colleen

Darin Chappell
06-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Yes, males can breed at the size of snake you've described, and yes, they do often go off their feed when looking for a mate. It is a bit late in the year for this to be happening right now, but do you have a female that is caged near enough to this male that he can smell her pheremones (sp?)? If so, you might want to separate them even further and give him a week or two to come out of that breeding mode.

Right now I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as he is still in good flesh. However, if he goes another couple of weeks with no food, you might try to brain the mouse you offer him. Sorry to be gross here, but sometimes my adult females will be less than enthusiastic to eat as they are filling up with eggs, but I want them to eat as much as they can for as long as they can. To entice them, I will sometimes squeeze the mouse's head until some blood/brains/fluid come out of the nose and/or mouth (the mice are obviously f/t) and then offer it tot he snake. This ALMOST ALWAYS works!

Let us know what happens with your snake -- Darin

Missymonkey
06-25-2002, 02:02 PM
I also sugguest keeping the tank a few degrees warmer, then he won't need to use extra energy trying to keep warm, it may also help encourage him to eat, If you think about it, when it's cold snakes eat less, just my sugguestion.

ERJ
06-25-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm not very sure about the sex of all my other snakes but if it carrys on then i will separate them. and again if he still doesn't feed then i will brain the mouse. He still seems to be healthy and just like normal but when (if this carrys on) should i take him to a vet? i'll try him again tomorrow.
thanks for the advise