PDA

View Full Version : Omnom's second shed

Omnom's second shed

Zombiegirl
11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Once again, had to help him. I will admit that time got away from me and I didn't get a humid hide in there in time (bad mom :( ), and when I noticed he was trying to shed I figured I would try Nanci's method (feeding tub + damp wash rag) again, but this time he was more interested in trying to get out than trying to shed. So I took him out and did the damp paper towel in the hands thing and he utilized that...it was so neat to watch his little muscles go as he was cruising through the paper towel. After he was finished he seemed almost appreciative and kept trying to get to my glasses lol...I am planning on picking up some sphagnum moss after work tomorrow and getting a humid hide in there, my question is:

He has a warm hide and a cool hide (but spends most of his time in his plants), should I just place it in the middle or on one side or the other?

As a side note, after he was finished with the shed I held on to him for a bit and attempted to count his kinks and came up with 7 total. They don't seem to slow him down much (except while he's eating, I think the one in his neck slows him down just a bit but he manages...I never feed him unsupervised.)

yojoe05
11-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I dont' remember what thread I was reading it may of been one of Nanci's actually (she's helped me a lot as well) but I know they choose to switch out one of the hides once they see a blue period has started. You may try searching for it, it was a rather helpful topic.

Lindseybree
11-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Severus seems to shed every six weeks, so usually right around then I switch out the aspen in his cool hide to sphagnum. He stays over on the warm side for the majority of the time, but I like just knowing he has a chance to realized it's there before he goes into hiding. His first shed with me in August was perfect. His 2nd shed in October he had a little piece of tail left on (I'm guessing due to the humidity being lower). Just posted on another thread that last night I looked at the hygrometer and it was between 35-40%. I put a damp towel (that I rang out really good) and laid it over 2/3 of his tank (over the warm side mostly) and then covered that with foil. Make sure to leave some area of the lid exposed for ventilation of course, but I woke up and his humidity was at 70% this morning!

yojoe05
11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
70% is really high for a corn. 40-50 is actually perfect for most sheds and lowers the chance of them developing scale rot. They aren't a tropical species so a nice middle ground mirrors their home range best.

Lindseybree
11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I know that long-term high humidity isn't good for them due to respiratory infections, but his last shed was a little troublesome and the humidity has dropped even more since his last shed so I was really worried about it being even worse this time. It's was only around that range for 2 nights (I took it off this morning), and the substrate isn't wet, so I'm not overly-concerned about scale rot. The humidity in Cleveland is awful during the summer, and for the most part his tank was usually around 60-70s and he never developed any breathing issues. I've researched and read that short-term humidity increases for no longer than a week are usually ok for them when they're in the shedding process. Thank you for your concern though. I always appreciate people looking out for others on here. :)