PDA

View Full Version : scale loss

scale loss

khaleah
11-25-2012, 12:55 AM
hi so my almost 1 year old corn is losing some random single scales. he is always under his tank mat unless he's hungry and even then he sticks his head up to look around. I have tried the aspen bedding once but he got really upset every time it was time to come out of his viv. I'm going to put him on paper towels now hoping that this will help.
No mites to be found. warm side is 85 cool side is 75 he shed 2 weeks ago. he is still eating good every week.

My question is could this be from rubbing under his mat all the time? any suggestions?

yojoe05
11-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry I'm kind of confused what kind of mat is it that's in the tank?

khaleah
11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
the green felt like mats that they sell at the pet store

diamondlil
11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
So you have just the reptile matting? It could well be either the friction or a humidity issue, or due to bacteria in and on the matting.
Please reconsider aspen, as it allows the snake to burrow, if you have plenty of hides too it means a richer environment (fake flowers and vines from the dollar store look nice and don't cost too much, kitchen roll tubes and toilet roll tubes seem to be universally loved by snakes) Once your snake is used to being fetched out of it for handling and feeding it shouldn't cause any distress.

kaypar2011
11-25-2012, 02:39 PM
My snakes love the aspen. Janine pretty much covered what I do for my snakes.

khaleah
11-25-2012, 03:58 PM
The last time i used aspen I had an out break of mites and one of my babies still hasn't been the same since. But Jones who is having the scale issue has always been a bit of a striker. He's just more so in the aspen. I'll head over to my pet store and see what I can find. He's just chilling on paper towels. He has his cave hid, paper towel roll, fake grass and his vine n water dish. Thank you for your input. Back to the toy store I go