PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a snake is overweight?

How to tell if a snake is overweight?

yojoe05
12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
I've noticed lately that while Rapunzel has a nice bread loaf shape now I'm seeing a strange line develop down her entire body both ventrally and dorsally right along the spinal column where it dips in slightly. Is this normal? Is it because I'm overfeeding her and she's "plump" along her sides because of it? I'm just wondering so I can take her feedings down a little bit if so.

Christen
12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Are you able to post a picture? How much are you feeding and how big is she? It could just be muscle definition but if you are able to post a picture it will help.

yojoe05
12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Ill try and get some close up shots posted later so it's visible. She was 19 grams three days ago when i weighed her before her feeding and she's on double pinks at the moment.

Christen
12-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah at that age I highly doubt she is fat. We don't really start worrying about getting fat till after a year or two.

yojoe05
12-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I really didn't think she was but I just wasn't sure what it was and I thought that might be a possibility. She does climb alot though so it may jsut be muscle tone. Ill get the pictures up tonight for clarification.

yojoe05
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Well it took quite a few tries but finally I managed to get a picture of at least one of the lines. The dorsal ones aren't as prominent and run parallel to her spine. Here's a photo of her underbelly though. The line that goes directly down her middle is what I'm talking to. It doesn't go down her entire body but her midsection has a line that goes along the entire length.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/yojoe05/CIMG3622.jpg

Christen
12-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh yeah that is normal. I actually have a picture some where of one of my adult snakes bellies that has that. I am not sure why some of them get that line but I have a few snakes that have that and they are perfectly normal.

yojoe05
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks Christen I'm glad to hear that. It was weird because she didn't originally have it when I got her but as she's growing its become more prominent.