• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Digestion questions

beyondthelimit

I am a first time owner, I hae recently bought a baby cornsnake, about 6 months old. He ate on Saturd (his schedualed feeding day), but only ate one pinkie. Yesterda (Monday) he seemed hungry again, so I fed him the second pinkie and he took it readily and immediately. He stayed in his cool hide for around 20 hrs right after he ate, then moved to the warm hide for about 25 hrs.

When I pick him up, he is active and alert.

I have changed my substrate to paper towels today (Tuesday) so I can see when he defecates.

I have two heat lamps (no UTH or heating cord [can you use those with corn snakes?]) and my temperature gradient at the floor is 73F-84F. I cannot get a UTH and rhetostat until payay, which is around xmas.

What can I do to ensure proper digestion? At what point should I be worrie he is no digesting properly and take him to a vet?

You should really not feed him more than every 5 days. Once a week is enough, unless you want to push his growth quickly. At six months old, he may be ready for fuzzies, not pinkies. Look up the Munson plan here. If you can't get fuzzies or have pinkies to use up, try him on two every 5 - 7 days.

The UTHs are better. Corn snakes aren't sun baskers and don't need the UV light. The need belly heat. Just be sure the lamps don't dry out the viv too much and watch the temps. It is easy to over heat with them. Sounds like he is fine, but do get the heat source changed when you can. Some people are quite successful with heat lamps, but they are not recommended and greatly frowned on. Belly heat is what they need.

Someone else with more experience should be speaking up soon with better advice. The weight of the snake would help, a picture too.

I see your questions were already answered in this thread: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127325

hanks you for your quick reply! However, I am wondering when I should be concerned about digestion, and what are the telltale signs he has not digested properly (besides regurge) so I can get it checked before it`s too late!

Why do you think he's not digesting properly?

Thi is my first corn, and his first feed wih me. I noticed the substrate/floor of my terrarium is cooler than i would like it to be on the warm side (it's about 80F at the wall on the floor). I'm worried about my snake's digestion of his recent meals. I ordered a UTH (under-tank heater) online, but until it arrives, what can I do to keep my corn snake warm so he can digest properly?

Also, what are signs I should take him to the vet because the food is not digested properly?

Back