PDA

View Full Version : First feeding

First feeding

Hartman3216
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
He took the pinky like a champ on Sunday around 1:00 but hasn't left his hide since. Since I've never owned a snake before I don't know whats normal after. I carefully lifted the hide to make sure he's not sitting in his own feces and/or didn't regurge the pinky. In about 1.5 hours we'll be at 48 hrs. since he ate, is there a normal time frame to when they'll be active again? From what I can see peering into his hide, he doesn't look to have much of a lump anywhere. I got him Saturday and he spent the whole time leading up to the feeding exploring the whole viv. I just don't want to be doing something wrong. His hide that he's been in is on the warm side which stays around 83-84 degrees. Should he be going for water? Is he gonna poop at some point?

Skully23
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Your snake is fine. Snakes stay hidden during the day because they are nocturnal. Pinks digest quite quickly and 2 days is the normal no handling.

You might want to keep your hot spot at 85-88.

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, just being a new worried owner ;) give the feces time to produce. Feed on a 4-5 day schedule.

Good luck
-Skully-

RoseRed
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Congratulations on a first successful feeding!!

It is normal for them to stay in one spot when digesting. There's nothing to worry about. It is a usual to take 48 hours to digest. As to when they will be active again, (assuming they are on the correct feeder size) usually sometime after 48 hours (keep in mind corn snakes are nocturnal so you may not see much movement in the daytime). Although that 48 hours is just a ball-park number so it could take him a little more time than that. Personally, I always wait for a sign of activity from the snake before handling (after the 48 hour mark, I do not consider handling before then).

I usually keep mine at 85 degrees, I'm not sure if 1 degree makes much of a difference.

chag67
12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah. I am new to snakes too. I handled my baby boy today at lunch and I fed him yesterday. For some reason I thought it had been 48 hours but alas it was only 24 hours. My little man let me know this by relieving himself on my bed spread.

Hartman3216
12-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Is the lack of going for water any issue? How long should I leave it in before changing it?

BugAyedBradshaw
12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Is the lack of going for water any issue? How long should I leave it in before changing it?

I have not seen with my eyes my snake get in, or drink the water provided him. But that doesn't mean he doesn't. Also it helps keep the humidity at a better level that way.

I change it out every day.

Hartman3216
12-18-2012, 07:35 PM
change water evrryday, ok. I'm guessing bottled water would be better than tap.