PDA

View Full Version : Think I need to rethink my steps in feeding this monster

Think I need to rethink my steps in feeding this monster

HermesMom
12-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Hermes is truly our sweetest corn, an absolute love... except at feeding. I shared how he tried to eat his reflection last week, this week I felt like I needed Steve Irwin holding my hand or something, lol. Clearly I need a deeper bin. He saw the tongs w/mouse coming and he shot straight up in the air {tongs weren't even that close to the bin!}, grabbed it, I felt the oompf he pulled/tugged it from the tongs with and then he flipped and flopped... boom, bang, boom, bang around the feeding bin squeezing the hell out of it :nope: When I took him out of his viv to eat, he was the sweetest little love... the overgrown meatball, oy vey!! My other three corns are such mellow eaters, you should have heard this orange beast flopping around his feeding bin as he squeezed the beejeebers out of his already dead meal. I'm surprised the dog didn't start barking thinking it was someone knocking at the door, lol.

yojoe05
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Lmfao that is hilarious, picturing that in my head just made my day.

Nanci
12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
You could put the mouse in first, wash, then go get him!

Nanci
12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I love enthusiastic feeders!

RmVMJp0Emt8

HermesMom
12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
You could put the mouse in first, wash, then go get him!

I've thought of that, but would be afraid to get caught up in the middle of it with him still attached to my hand some how. Or mistake me for his food. I might be picking up a big rubbermaid bin for his feeding bin, lol, or maybe attach the tongs to a yard stick :D

HermesMom
12-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Oh Nanci, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes from that video - perfect choice of song! Yup, that's how Hermes eats to but there's no mellow sniffing, just rudely ripping it from the tongs no matter where they are. Maybe with the bigger bin I'll just toss it in there like you did.

Joba
12-28-2012, 08:52 PM
VIDEO PLEASE!

AliCat37
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Shivers caught a mouse out of the air yesterday!

Weda737
12-29-2012, 01:56 AM

My two oldest ones will do that occasionally too, cracks me up.

HermesMom
12-29-2012, 12:08 PM

I'm going to start plopping them in his bin from now on, instead of gently placing it in there. I'll be curious to see if he's as talented as your Shivers.

Lyreiania
12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi...that is a great description. Maybe your Hermes is just hungrier than normal? Try increasing his mice and see if he gentles. When I have been sick and so the snakes feed schedule has been off, I have definitely noticed they take the dead mice more aggressively when they are at long last (in their opinion I am sure) fed again. Hermes may just have a larger appetite.

HermesMom
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi...that is a great description. Maybe your Hermes is just hungrier than normal? Try increasing his mice and see if he gentles. When I have been sick and so the snakes feed schedule has been off, I have definitely noticed they take the dead mice more aggressively when they are at long last (in their opinion I am sure) fed again. Hermes may just have a larger appetite.

He just got bumped up to hoppers, this was only his second or third one and since getting them got moved to every 6 days of feeding vs. every 5 days when he was on fuzzies. He just excitable eater ;)

WingedSweetheart
12-29-2012, 09:56 PM
I have one that will lunge out of his bin as soon as he sees the mouse. He is always fun to watch at feeding time lol. But he's not very nice on a normal bases either!

Jarvi
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I've had my MBK for about two weeks now. When thawing his pinkies I handle them as little as humanly possible/not at all. (Dump into sandwich bag > thaw in water > dump into feeding box with paper towels and dry a bit > if i need to move the pinkies i use my tongs)

Then I just stick him in there and he goes at it. Maybe I should hide one under half a paper towel tube so he can feel like a hunter. :P

Do most people put the snake in first?

WingedSweetheart
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I've had my MBK for about two weeks now. When thawing his pinkies I handle them as little as humanly possible/not at all. (Dump into sandwich bag > thaw in water > dump into feeding box with paper towels and dry a bit > if i need to move the pinkies i use my tongs)

Then I just stick him in there and he goes at it. Maybe I should hide one under half a paper towel tube so he can feel like a hunter. :P

Do most people put the snake in first?

When I fed in feeding bins I always put the mouse in first. I use feeding tongs too. So my hands never smell like the mouse. Then I'd put the snake in. Now I just feed the snakes in their bins. So I pick up the mouse with tongs and then stick it inside the bin. All my snakes usually just sniff at the mouse and I end put putting it down and moving on to the next snake. But my hypo male always grabs the mouse with a strike and coil.

HermesMom
12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I move all my corns from their vivs to their feeding bins, put them in first then the mouse {using tongs}.

Carpe Serpentis
12-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Zombie mouse looks a little out of it. I think he needs brains.... Just eat. Eat it anyway you can.
I so love Weird Al. I think I have all of his songs on cd still.

yojoe05
01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
lol rapunzel just went up to fuzzies and shes crazy like this now to : P

WingedSweetheart
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
It's a little thrilling when they get so excited they rips the tongs out of your hand from striking the mouse so hard! Sometimes they coil the tongs and you have to wait forever to get them back lol.

Kaifyre
01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Wish mine would do that! .... All I get is
*sniff**lick**nom*.
That snake was more
*sniff**sniff**NOMTWISTTWISTNOMNOMSQEEEEEZE*
lawlz

--Kaifyre

Xeppirayne
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I usually make my Enoch chase his food around his tank so he'll feel like he's hunting his dead mousie down.

He's very entertaining to watch; he'll squeeze that dead fuzzy until it's good and, well, dead.

Eli on the other hand, is the daintiest eater in the world. He'll sniff the pinky like a fine wine and delicately take it from you.

ladymagpie
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Cleo just sorta noses around the pinky, sniffing it for a bit. Then she slowly lines herself up facing the head then noms it down, normally still stretched out like a lady of leisure being fed tidbits by her servant. Which is, of course, exactly what is happening.