PDA

View Full Version : Help! Parasites on snake's head??

Help! Parasites on snake's head??

sierraraptor
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

This is my first snake - I've had him since he was a tiny hatching, about six months. He has been doing great up until a couple of weeks ago - no issues with feeding/shedding/etc.

Two weeks ago when I offered him his usual f/t fuzzy, he would not eat it. Normally he eats immediately, but he's about due for a shed so I didn't worry too much. Over the next week, his color got duller and eyes looked cloudy, so I figured he would shed while I was out of town for the holidays.

I just got back, he's still dull and lethargic, and he's got big black bumps all over his head! I am freaking out - is this some sort of parasite? The emergency clinic doesn't see exotics, and I am praying the exotics vet will be open Monday even though it's New Years Eve. Is this something that requires immediate veterinary care? Is there anything I can do to treat him over the weekend, or is there a treatment guide I could show to the emergency vet? I am very attached to this little guy and can't stand the thought of losing him!

And just FYI as far as basic husbandry goes, he's in a 20 long tank on aspen. UTH on one side with thermostat set to mid 80s (mid 70s) on cool side. Gets one small fuzzy weekly. I also have another corn snake in a separate tank who seems completely healthy.

Thank you so much in advance for any guidance!

Sierra

sierraraptor
12-29-2012, 08:05 PM
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/737703_907471827154_1036713708_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229875_907471637534_860422843_n.jpg

Alicia P
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Those look kinda like ticks, but where he would have got them from in his viv is a mystery.

diamondlil
12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Do you get your aspen from a store that sells rptiles? If so, parasites like ticks or mites can get in the aspen and get brought home.

Nanci
12-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Looks like ticks to me, too. You can remove them by pulling slowly and steadily backwards with a tweezers or forceps. Then clean with a Betadine or hydrogen peroxide solution. Then apply triple antibiotic ointment. You should probably ask your vet if her recommends antibiotics; there is a high incidence of infection from ticks.

AND get rid of all the bedding, and replace with bedding from a different source.

sierraraptor
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok, will do. I get my aspen from the local store where I get my mice - I've been using the same bag for a couple of months, so it seems really odd that a parasite would just now show up. I'm going to get rid of all the bedding in both tanks and wash everything down. is there a reputable online place to buy bedding?
I'm planning on taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow, too!

Alicia P
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Do you get your aspen from a store that sells rptiles? If so, parasites like ticks or mites can get in the aspen and get brought home.Eww, this is good to know!! Is there anyway to know if there are extra critters in there when you buy it or is there something that should be done to the aspen before using it?

Nanci
12-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I Google it and buy from the cheapest place, which is usually Pet Mountain.

rich333
12-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Be sure to Check him from Head to tail...EVERYWHERE!!!!

In your first pic. I see a few ticks on his body as well as his head.

diamondlil
12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Eww, this is good to know!! Is there anyway to know if there are extra critters in there when you buy it or is there something that should be done to the aspen before using it?
You can freeze it before use, I mix some distomaceous earth into my bedding even though I get it from an animal feed store with no livestock

sierraraptor
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Good idea!

Thank you all so much for the advice - wish my little guy luck

sierraraptor
12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I was able to reach the exotics vet by phone - sounds like I've done all I can for now. I've got an appointment to take both snakes in tomorrow.

She recommended switching substrate to paper - have you guys had any luck with Carefresh?

Also, can my cats get snake ticks/mites? One of my cats was playing in the trash bag that I dumped all the aspen into...

Nanci
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I think the reason for newspaper is so you can see anything moving around.

I use CareFresh for hatchlings, but I don't like it much. It smells weird. It gets into water bowls and sucks up all the water.

Hopefully the substrate change she recommends is just temporary. It is VERY odd to find ticks in the bedding, of any type. I really can't think of this happening to anyone else. Mites, yes, wood mites, yes. Never ticks. And you will kill _everything_ in the substrate by freezing it.

sierraraptor
12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Ok, I stuck the rest of my bag of aspen in the freezer - how long does it need to stay in there?

I am completely baffled as to where he could have picked up ticks as well. Like I said, I haven't brought in any new substrate/hides/decorations for several months, haven't been around any other reptiles at all, I never take the snakes outside, my cats are indoors-only and receive monthly flea/tick/heartworm meds.

I guess I'm happy for it to remain a mystery as long as I can get rid of the problem and never have it reoccur!

Nanci
12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Your cat can get ticks, but not mites. Mites are reptile-specific.

Lennycorn
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow! now I think I've seen it all...glad you have it taken care of.

HermesMom
12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Will be keeping your little guy in my thoughts. I used paper towels when one of mine had an injury, you can spot any little thing on them and are inexpensive and very easy to clean up.