PDA

View Full Version : Senting

Senting

khaleah
01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
ok

So my lovely ziggy every time i get her out of her tank sents me. it smells like the yuckiness from a gardener snake. its not like she is pooping on me its just this little bit of liquid that comes out of her vent. just about all my other babies have pooped on me but it doesn't smell like this. and i can wash my hands and every thing and pick up one of my other kids and they just sniff and taste the air like it is some strange cool thing when she does it.

Is this normal? i haven't heard of anyone elses corn doing this.

DragonsDenSerpents
01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
It sounds like she is musking. Garter snakes are typically known for it, but any snake can do it if they're scared/stressed. Awful smell; thankfully only one of mine has musked and then it was when she was just a baby. It may be something Ziggy will grow out of.

KyGirl
01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
My girl did that when I first got her. It was the only thing I didn't freak out about being new to corn snakes. I have been around other animals that have musked and the scent stays with you and is easy to tell from poo and pee and is unforgettable. Thank goodness she doesn't do it much anymore. The cat freaks out when he smells it.

khaleah
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I am really hoping that she grows out of this. she had done it 2x to me. guess i need to set aside some more time with her.

Nanci
01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
She will most likely grow out of it. I only have one adult corn who musks, and it's not even visible musk, I can just smell it. She only gets handled on feeding days, and I know she isn't afraid of me- so it's just a don't bother me thing, although I'd be VERY shocked if she ever bit.