PDA

View Full Version : Info on Crypto! HELP?

Info on Crypto! HELP?

WestCoast_Redneck
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
There's a chance my snake could have/carry crypto. I've been advised the breeder I acquired this yearling from is a known carrier of this illness. As a new snake owner, this is a bit worrisome to us. I have done extensive research, however I have very little 'owner' experience regarding snakes.

I will be feeding my snake tonight. What should I know? Besides quarantine, disinfect, etc. What else can I do to ensure my snake stays healthy? I know I can test for crypto, but because it's incurable, there seems no point unless my snake becomes sick or we decide (unlikely) to acquire another corn.

Any and all help/advise is appreciated!!

crotalis40741
01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I would personally go ahead and test the snake, it could save a lot of heartache down the road if the snake is infected with crypto. Especially if you plan on getting other snakes. Have the vet do a gastric lavage and a PCR test. An acid fast test is not as accurate.

diamondlil
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
If the snake is infected, obviously it could become ill at some point, but many people believe crypto is endemic in the hobbby and becomes a problem mainly when other factors place additional stress on the snake. So a snake could live a long and seemingly healthy life, never showing any symptoms, whereas others will show symptoms and deteriorate quickly after events like shipping or brumation.
If this is to be your only snake, personally I'd say just enjoy owning it. Knowing it might get sick won't be any help in caring for and enjoying it now. The form of crypto that affects snakes won't harm you at all, so normal hygiene precautions you'd use after handling any animal and with disposing of used bedding will be fine. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the disease. Most symptomatic snakes deteriorate and die. But unless your snake shows symptoms worrying beforehand or testing it, as you said, is pointless too.
I don't think any breeders routinely test for crypto unless they have unexplained deaths, so I'd go as far as to say many of us own unknown asymptomatic carriers. Why? Because every time we buy in new stock, from the most trusted of sources, we could get a healthy crypto carrier.

WestCoast_Redneck
01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey thank you diamondlil, that helped huge. I'm just going to take it as it is, I have no intention on ever breeding nor acquiring more snakes, so like I said, testing to find out the diagnosis is really meaningless, as there's not much I can do about it. I just hope my lil redneck is healthy, and remains so for the long run. I'm quite excited about owning a snake, and looking forward to many years with it. Thanks again for your help!

loyalsissaly84
01-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I heard cryptogram is hard to diagnose, the best way is a fresh regurge as a sample for the procedure.

bitsy
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
It's actually "Cryptosporidium" and you really need the tests suggested by Crotalis above.

Nanci
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Is this your only snake?

There was a large breeder in Canada who it was rumored had a significant number of deaths, and everyone jumped to the assumption that it was from crypto. Now this breeder _said_ they had tests done and it was something bacterial. So I am not positive if I would believe the rumors. BUT I would definitely test the snake in the method recommended by Bob- that is the only reliable method. Then you can rest easy and not worry about it. The cost of the test is $100 or so in the US.

loyalsissaly84
01-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I heard cryptogram is hard to diagnose, the best way is a fresh regurge as a sample for the procedure.

Sorry auto correct! My kindle has been abusing my words. Smh

WestCoast_Redneck
01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I only see the tests being necessary if a) I had other snakes/reptiles, which I dont. Or b) If I ever planned on breeding my snake, which I will never do.

As far I have read, it's incurable, and cannot be treated. So, if my snake has crypto, even if I know she does...There's really nothing I can do that I am not already doing. If she stops feeding, looks lethargic or unhealthy, I will take her to the vet and go from there. If they test her positive for crypto, she will be euthanized, because there's no need for an animal to suffer if the prognosis is inevitable. Then I will do a hell of a lot more research into the breeder, but most importantly, ensuring my next snake was vet checked! I just fed her, so well see if she regurgitates or not...

DragonsDenSerpents
01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
I recently had a bout with crypto myself, and I agree with all of the above information. The gastric lavage is by far the most accurate testing method. The snake I purchased with crypto was an adult female, and appeared to be underweight. She never really put on much weight and regurged anything larger than a large fuzzy or small hopper. It's a scary disease, but manageable if you only have the one snake. It's not an easy choice to make, whether to keep her until she shows symptoms, or put her down at a positive test. You have my sympathies. :(

WestCoast_Redneck
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Thank you! Not a great experience with my first ever snake, but I'm gonna give 100% towards her care and hope for the best. I fed her a fuzzy tonight, so I guess well see how that holds up and hopefully things go well :) Im optimistic that she doesn't have crypto, but because others who have bought through this breeder have gotten infected snakes, I can't really hold my breath.

Shiari
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Do be aware that crypto can lie dormant for many months. I had a single crypto positive (via necropsy) animal that went through 6 months of quarantine. I'd had him for most of a year by the time he suddenly showed symptoms. I ended up doing a massive cull of every hatchling and juvenile he might have had contact with, and I was exceptionally lucky. All 13 came back negative.

If you get any other reptiles, there must be NO contact of ANYthing between them. Use gloves when handling the snake or anything in the cage. Feed separately. If you use a feeding bin, it must be a bin for *only* that snake. No other reptiles can go in it, etc.

WestCoast_Redneck
01-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Thank you Megan! We only have the one snake, no other reptiles. IF we do decide to get another, I will have this one tested first. Such a pain having to worry so much about our first corn snake, but that's my luck of the draw and I already love this lil girl so hoping things fair well!

Shiari
01-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Even the PCR can be a false negative. The only truly definitive is a gastric biopsy, which involves surgery on a living snake or a sample taken after the snake has been euthanised.

diamondlil
01-11-2013, 04:09 PM
What will you do if your missing reverse okeetee is found?

WestCoast_Redneck
01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I have another tank, which is completely empty at the moment but I can have it prepared quite quickly if we find her. HOPING we find her. When we got the 2nd snake, I purchased all new thermostats, substrate, and UTH because I figured without a doubt I would find the okeetee and I'd need both tanks.