PDA

View Full Version : First snake, Regurge :( :(

First snake, Regurge :( :(

HVani
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Ok so I brought Riven home on December 28th. She settled in well and was fed on the 3rd. A bit early but she hadn't eaten since for 2 weeks at the Pet store and I was worried.

4 days later I found what looked like part poop part regurge. It looked like poop and smelled like poop but I could still make out the feet/tail of the pinky.

Turns out my temps were off and the tank was too cold. I bumped up my thermastat the next day and added an overhead heat lamp.

I tried to feed her at 10 days after the regurge and she refused. I tried again 4 days later(yesterday) and she thankfully ate. I did everything in my power to ease her back into her tank and leave her alone.

About an hour ago I found a regurged pinky, totally not digested at all and still wet.

Now what?? Is she going to die now :( I'm so worried and I feel like a terrible owner.

khaleah
01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
breathe. It has happened to the best of us... What are the temps at both warm and cool side? How long did you leave her in her "feeding" box before moving her back in to her viv? I would give her another day before trying to feed her again. maybe if you have a small petco like box to feed her in and then just move the whole box inside the tank and just keep one end open so she can come out on her own.

Good luck and keep us updated.

HVani
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Warm side: 85-87 I'm using a UTH with thermastat. I turned off the light today to cut down on stress and possible over heating.
Cool Side: 72-73

I used a small brown paper bag and she was in there for about 25 minutes.

khaleah
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
hummm.... maybe just put the small paper bag with her and her dinner in the viv. just leave the top open a little bit so she can get out when she is ready to.

DragonsDenSerpents
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Is she possibly going blue? I would email Kathy Love and see if you can get some Nutribac. Wait 10 days (leave her completely alone) and try and feed her a pinky HEAD rolled in Nutribac. I would not recommend attempting to feed her before then.

HVani
01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you

She shed before Christmas so I don't think she is. She's a very pale snake though and it can be hard ti tell.

HVani
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Riven passed away last night :(

Nanci
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
That's really sad, but I doubt that even your cold temps to begin with caused her death. Still- a back-to-back regurge is very serious and often not possible to recover from, or more likely, a sign that something is very wrong and the snake has a condition that it isn't going to survive.

I would clean the viv and all nonporous items completely with a 30% ammonia solution.

Then- if you can find an older snake, or a snake from a breeder, it will have a better chance. Pet store snakes are often barely started before they are wholesaled, and the ones with something wrong, that aren't going to thrive, haven't lived long enough to show signs of that.

I'm sorry...

HVani
01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure how to go about finding a breeder in my area.

khaleah
01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I am so sorry for you loss. :(

Alicia P
01-18-2013, 01:16 PM
So sorry for your loss ((hugs))

Here is a link to a reptile show in WI http://www.wireptileshows.com/index.php?link=home looks like the page hasn't been updated in awhile though. Email them and see if there will be another show soon or if they know of any breeders near you.

Here is a link to the Madison Area Herp Society http://madisonherps.org/ I didn't see any breeder info on their page but again if you email them someone may be able to point you in the correct direction.

Hope that helps :)

DragonsDenSerpents
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
So sorry to hear your little one didn't make it. :( I second Nanci's advice - go through a reputable breeder, ask for feeding records, and make sure you get a well started baby/juvie/young adult. If you go through an expo, be sure to ask for a breeder's business card or contact information. A good one will help you out whenever needed.

hypnoctopus
01-18-2013, 03:26 PM
You can also just check the sale section here on this website and have one shipped to you, probably when the weather gets warmer.

It sounds like you did all you could.

HVani
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I will check out some places in the area. And yes if I still haven't found one by the time warmer weather comes around(April), I will order online.