PDA

View Full Version : Time to increase feedings?

Time to increase feedings?

smigon
01-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I have had Scarlett since December 27, she has eaten fine for the last few weeks but I usually feed her on Friday, last week she was really active so I gave her a fuzzie on Thurs, she snatched it up. This week I held her daily as usual (except the two days after feeding) and she was really active Tuesday, both in the viv and my hands so I fed her. She couldn't eat it fast enough. The size ratio of snake:fuzzie is what it should be according to everything I have read, should I maybe go to two fuzzies/week or move up to a jumper?

I am so new at all of this that I just need some guidance.

Chip
01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Try to get her weight in grams. There's really no way to accurately do that without a photo of the snake and it's prey item.

bitsy
01-17-2013, 02:24 AM
As a rough rule of thumb, the food size needs to be about one and a half times the girth of the snake's body (not the head or neck) and leave a visible bump in the belly for 24-48 hours after swallowing. When the lump disappears faster, it's normally worth trying the next size up. That's until they reach adult mice, when Corns will usually not need anything larger for the rest of their lives.

Don't interpret increased activity or speed of swallowing, as a need for more food. It's a natural hunting behaviour and eating gets faster as they get used to a particular size of food.

smigon
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Bitsy, I have been going by that theory since I got her. This last feeding Tuesday is still visible, so I am guessing she wasn't over or underfed.

Chip, I will get a scale today. Any suggestions where to get a gram scale?

Chip
01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Ebay, old will knot, bean farm, reptile basics are among many places.

Outcast
01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I got my scale from walmart.

P.Guttatus
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
They have a one at Target around twenty dollars. Works well for me.
http://www.target.com/p/digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

HermesMom
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
They have a one at Target around twenty dollars. Works well for me.
http://www.target.com/p/digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

I have this same exact one and am very happy with it.