PDA

View Full Version : Corn snake with lumps and bumps feeding problems .

Corn snake with lumps and bumps feeding problems .

Bebaz
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi all, I've had my 2 corns (Ron) and (may) for over 3 years now, they live together, mated last year successfully (18 babies) and I've had no problems until now, may has always struck at her mouse and ate every week or 2. Ron has always took his food calmly moving up to small rats. Always from the same supplier. Around 6 wks ago may didn't eat, 4 wks ago Ron stopped eating and they still haven't ate yet, Ron has not lost any weight,and is very active. but may has gone really thin, and her skin doesn't look right.Hides all the time, I've tried all the tricks to get them to feed but nothing works now,
The main problem is Ron, he is 5 ft long an quite thick, he has developed lumps 2/3 rds the way down his body, they are on both sides and feel quite spongy, almost look like when a female has eggs inside her.
Until I can upload some pictures does anybody have any ideas ??

susang
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Well it is mating season could be the reason for not eating, along with stress from being housed together. As for lumps hard to tell without pics, but mushy on the same side and eating rats sounds like overweight, sounds like.

susang
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
I reread your post and I doubt to cohabbed snakes would only mate once. I wonder if your female has reabsorbed clutches or there have been slugs unnoticed. She may be in decline because of over breeding, gain just a guess.

GoFride
01-25-2013, 07:36 PM
I wonder if Ron has developed hips - we'll have to wait for your pics. Are you able to give May a separate enclosure while you try to get her back to good health?

Bebaz
01-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks , I was guessing at overweight, but like u say just a guess,
As for mating, it was around feb last yr she got active so they may be ready again soon, they have lived together for 3 years and been fine tho, can that just change ?? And since laying eggs last Easter she has been in good health, putting weight back on and eating good.
Maybe a seperation is in order for a while !

DragonsDenSerpents
01-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I agree, separate asap. With May in declining condition, your male isn't going to be considerate and say "you look awfully thin. NBD, I'll wait." The last thing she needs is for him to mate with her. The stress of being cohabbed alone could cause that condition. Separate, and separate permanently.

Also a pic of Ron would help, though I agree it sounds like he's overweight and has just developed hips.

susang
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Cohabbing is just not a good idea snakes are solitary. As you say they have been together for three years without issue, but... If you got them when they were babies she bred too early the female should be a minimum of three years old for breeding. That along with cohabbing and continual breeding, because I'm sure they have done 'it' more then once is too much for her.

Chip
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks , I was guessing at overweight, but like u say just a guess,
As for mating, it was around feb last yr she got active so they may be ready again soon, they have lived together for 3 years and been fine tho, can that just change ??

It had better. I know you mean well, but it isn't kind to your snakes to keep them in the same enclosure, particularly a gender pair. I don't think they have been as "fine" as it might appear. Please separate ASAP! Best wishes.

AliCat37
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Eventually, the stress alone will cause one snake to deteriorate in health, and most likely die. I have to agree with everyone else. Separate them.. permanently. Only place them together during breeding season if you want eggs, and only long enough for the "deed" to be done. I put my boys in with a girl, watch to see if any action takes place, and if it does I pull one of the snakes out as soon as it's done.