PDA

View Full Version : Not really a problem , but ....

Not really a problem , but ....

Kaifyre
01-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I have noticed in the last 3 or 4 feedings that all of the mice I have for Tatu have been ... well, leaking. The mice smell good and don't look bad or anything, but when Tatu goes to eat them they start oozing guts out of their midsection, almost like they have holes in their sides or something. I'm fairly certain poking holes in their sides is not a new, more humane way to kill them so ... Is this common for frozen fuzzies? Are their stomach walls just very thin at this point, or is this something that should not be happening? I don't think Tatu has noticed a difference, she still horks them down no problem, I just don't want her to accidentally drown on mouse guts or something (if this is even possible).
It's more annoying than anything else because she always drags her body through the mouse guts that have leaked out .... then I have to wash her .... and I always worry that the snake-washing will make her regurge, even though she's never regurged in her life .... It's a huge pain in the butt.
Thanks for the help guys!

-- Kaifyre

Justine66
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
hmm.. I have heard of this happaning before with pinkys, but I'm still un sure as to what actually causes it..

I have just switched to fuzzys and none of them have leaked, nor did the pinkys I was using. maybe a little bit of blood would come out of their mouths after being defrosted in hot water and then dried off.

but that's about it.. I don't think it'll harm the snake, just more of a pain like you were saying.. maybe if has something to do with how the feeders are stored/packed, but I honestly don't know.

:o I hope this sorta helps..

beccabozz
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
We've been having the same thing happen lately. I'm not sure if we're leaving the in the hot water too long or what. The snakes don't seem to mind, but it is kinda gross. :p

Kaifyre
01-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Justine, are your mice individually packed? Mine aren't .... when you said that it made me wonder. Thanks for the replies guys, I just wanted to make sure nothing horrible was going to happen.

-- Kaifyre

xStaticSnow
02-03-2013, 04:56 PM
This most often happens if you have heated up the mice too rapidly. It causes the insides to expand the skin to rupture easily! I use to microwave the water I used for thawing my mice for about 2 minutes and this happened to be quite a few times (gross!). I finally learned that I was heating my water up too hot and it was thawing the mouse out too quickly. So try using some cooler water if you haven't already and see if that helps.

Other than the fact that it's gross and messy, there's nothing to worry about. Once my rosy boa constricted his mouse to hard that it "popped" open and he got blood and guts all over himself. I think he was a little confused my the strong scent all over him and he ended up biting himself and freaking out for a while. But he was fine and this was the only bad experience I've ever had.

Justine66
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
sorry it room me soon long to reply!

no, my mice arnt individually packed- I purchase my mice from a reptile specialty shop. they get they feeders in bulk, and allow me to pick out the ones that I want. :) I'm lucky that way.

but I actually plan on ordering mice from another rodent supllier, because I plan on getting another snake and their prices are half of what I'm paying right now. soon we'll see what that's like!

Justine66
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
reply* of course.. :o

Justine66
02-03-2013, 05:27 PM
aha, I ment to say "took" ! **