PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR CORN?

WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR CORN?

WAS1
06-28-2004, 04:46 PM
I noticed in a recent poll on this site, that 1 member feeds her Corn day old chicks. i always thought they never provided the same nutrition as rats or mice, and therefore should be fed sparingly. Does anyone else feed primarily on day old chicks?
and with what results?

MegF.
06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
I think it's more an issue of availability than nutrition. Most people don't have access to cheap, large amounts of chicks, and if your corn decided that he only wanted that, you'd be in trouble. Mice are cheaper and more readily available. I think the person feeding the chicks, had chickens or something. I don't know if there would be a problem with nutrition though.

Cindy
06-30-2004, 07:46 AM
I believe I am the person who feeds chicks, here in my local area (UK) frozen mice cost around $1.00 (60p gbp) each whereas chicks are 25c (16p) each. Although cost is not my reason for feeding her this way. she was eating Chicks when I adopted her, she seems very happy and healthly and I see no reason to change her diet. (however If I am doing anything wrong please advise me and I will change her diet immediatly).
;)
Cheers

WAS1
07-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your reply`s.
The only reason I asked the Qu. is that frozen day old chicks are readily available here and only cost 10p each.
I do recall tho. someone posting that they aren`t as nutricious as mice. Does anyone know if this is the case??
also aren`t they too big for a corn to eat??

Yvonne
07-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I also posted about feeding day old quail chick, as I raise quail and have chicks available the majority of the year. I have been feeding my 03 hatchling both chicks and mice, both live and dead thawed chicks, and mice. My corn readily accept any meal I have fed him and is growing quite well and looks very good. He has gone through two sheds. He does seem to enjoy chicks better but doesn't hestitate to eat baby mice when offered. He is up to quail chicks a few days old now and hairy mice. I was warned his pooh might be messier or nastier but have not seen much difference. Good luck with your corn. The whole family is enjoying learning about snakes.

Cindy
07-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Amazing to watch her eat..... day old chick btw (f/t)

MegF.
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Here's mine munching. It amazes me how fast they can eat without hands! I had to help her one day though when the legs on the mouse got stuck in the corner of her mouth. I held the mouse's body while she maneuvered her lips around the offending leg! She probably would have gotten it eventually on her own, but it was easier for her with me keeping it from moving for her.

paulc
07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Cindy thats a great looking snake you got there where did you get it

Cindy
07-03-2004, 03:13 PM
I got her from Kwik Save Supermarket believe or not.... (well a postcard on the notice board!) I adopted her from someone who had lost interest... free including Viv, Heat Mat and everything. I was so lucky. She really is adorable, really lively and fun, she sometimes sleeps coiled up on my lap.....
:crazy02:

paulc
07-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Il'l have to start to look on them boards now, that is if the wife makes me do the shopping lol.

limey
07-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I believe ther reason people dont feed chicks all the time is because of the rather smelly and runny output!, i thoin k i have also heard that there is to much fat in chicks compared with mice so its very easy to overfeed you rsnake and make it fat (having said that if thats the csae woudl nt they make excellent food for corns who have just laid eggs ? ). The other answer i can think off is that begin a bird its not going to have the same calcuim content that a rodent has.