PDA

View Full Version : New baby corn won't eat!

New baby corn won't eat!

SarWildDog
02-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I bought a baby snow from a local petstore over a week ago. I fed him on the second day of owning him and he was ravenous, I don't know how often they fed them. After five days, I tried to feed him another pinky but he refused. He refused after six, seven, etc. until now. It's been nine days since he has last eaten, and he is showing no signs of shedding. He spends a fair amount of time on both sides of his habitat, and he is rarely disturbed.
Are there any other reasons he might not be eating? I've tried dangling and wiggling the pinky, to leaving him alone, and he has not eaten since that first time. I still have the receipt, and I can return him if I have to, but I'd rather not. I largely chose corns over balls because they were less picky eaters, but this guy is determined to prove me wrong. I'm going to pick up more pinks and a pair of candy canes at an expo next week, hopefully they won't be so picky.

kurt1288
02-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Give it some time. You risk putting stress on him if you're constantly trying to feed him. I would leave him be for a couple days. Then, when you do try to feed him, warm the pinky up (you can even slit it if you want), place them both in a separate container, cover, and let him be for a while. That's what I did the first few times I feed mine and it worked well.

MysticExotics
02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
I agree, leave him alone for at least 4 or 5 days. He could be stressed from you trying to feed him so often. Also, it's generally a good idea to let them have time to settle about a week before feeding or messing with them.
If he's a healthy baby, he can go a week or two & still be fine. Heck, I've had new hatchlings not eat their first meal for 5 or 6 weeks.
He might also be in shed, many refuse to eat while in shed.

Wait about a week, leave him alone during that time (other than making sure he has water) & then try to feed again.

diamondlil
02-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Trying daily is more likely to cause stress and repeated refusals, so as above, leave him alone to settle for a week. Put extra hides in like toilet roll tubes or fake greenery so he can hide and feel secure.
Secondly, check your husbandry, how is his viv heated and what is the temperature range? Incorrect temps are the most common cause for feeding problems.

LeMoN6123
02-03-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with everyone else. Give him a while to calm down, and then feed him in a separate container. If you got him in a deli cup, that is the perfect for putting him in there with the pinky. My husband will normally put the container (with snake and pinkie inside) in a drawer or somewhere dark and leave them for up to twenty minutes before he would check on them. You can also try to soak them in a warm bath before feeding, this has worked for us too. Good luck!

kiingthecorn
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
When my snake was young he didn't eat for a month. He finally ate after he shed. He is probably just stressed about moving in to a larger home so leave him alone for a week or so. Maybe he needs to shed.

WestCoast_Redneck
03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
The bath trick worked for us with our little corn that didn't eat for over two months... I've been told corns won't eat when dehydrated. So, I did 3-5min soaks....works everytime! I put a designated snake towel in the bathtub, fill with enough water to just cover the towel at room temp.. Without fail, everytime I soak my snakes they have a huge drink and a poop. Sometimes I'll feed them right after but sometimes I put them back in their viv for a few hours before feeding. Regardless, my one corn that usually eats at turtle speed will mow two fuzzies back like no tomorrow after a good soak :)