PDA

View Full Version : Adopted a neglected corn - health questions

Adopted a neglected corn - health questions

pizzamieze
02-04-2013, 01:47 AM
I just adopted (rescued?) a beautiful snow yearling today, from what turned out to be a disaster of a situation. This man had her under a standard 60 watt light bulb in a filthy 20 gallon tank with a teacup sized waterbowl, ugh... but I digress. She's got what I [I]think[I] are scabs from a previous mite infestation. I haven't seen one move yet, but I'd like to ask your opinions.

I also "drew her a bath" earlier to remove scum and see if the mites/scabs fell off, but what I found actually looked like raw egg whites...? Anyway, input is much appreciated. Thanks for your help!

pizzamieze
02-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Oh, I forgot one question. That tough, yellowish skin patch on the top of her head - is that normal? I've never seen that before. FYI: This picture was taken post-bath. Sorry it's not the best quality!

heatwave
02-04-2013, 01:54 AM
looks like an active mite infestation. The egg white look is probably the mite feces- they are white and dusty.

A really good way to see if there are mites instead of just scabes (in an active mite infestation there will be a lot of dead mites too) is to take a really small pin/tweezers etc and CAREFULLY move one out from behind a scale, then pinch it between your fingers. If you get a brown stain (blood) its mites.

I would definitely start mite treatment right away. if possible I would also get her to a vet for a fecal and see if anything else is going on with her. Watch closely for RI symptoms too (gapeing mouth, bubbling spit, wheezing sound when she breathes) since she had no heat.

A plastic bin, with a plastic water bowl and paper towels is the perfect holding place for her while she goes through mite treatment as you can keep it imaculately clean and check every day for signs of mites (they show up really well on white paper towels and plastic bins). Keep her well quarentined!

Poor baby also looks really skinny. When did she eat last?

Thanks for saving her!!!

pizzamieze
02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the quick response. He says she eats a small mouse every Saturday, but she doesn't look like she's just eaten today. I think I'll go with my instinct and try to feed her tomorrow.

heatwave
02-04-2013, 02:24 AM
If I were you, just a word of advice, I wouldnt feed her straight away. Give her a few days of settling in, mite treatment, belly heat and quiet no-handling stress before you feed her. You are going to need to be handling her to do mite treatments and dont want to feed her right before putting her through all that. Plus if she regorges then you have a whole 'nother problem on your hands. Unless she's acting absolutely ravenous I would go ahead and take care of the mites and let her settle then offer her two smaller meals. (Cant really see how big she is but "small mouse" seems like the owner was refering to a hopper mouse and shes probably too young for that)

pizzamieze
03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Sorry to have waited a few weeks to respond, but I didn't want to post unnecessarily and waste anyone's time. Now, I'm sure.

After two mite treatments, two baths and diligent viv maintenance, I've decided it wasn't mites in the first place. I never found one mite, and the scale marks remain.

With tweezers, I was able to pick at one until it fell off. They're sort of like a thin layer of dead skin that covers only one scale, or even just part of one. It reminds me of popcorn kernel. The one I got was loose enough that it didn't bother her when removed, or at least it didn't seem to.

She doesn't eat live and allegedly never has, and I've also concluded that it's not debris from viv decor. What else could it be?

Nanci
03-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Whatever it is, it will probably shed off at her next shed.