PDA

View Full Version : snake couldn't swallow food

snake couldn't swallow food

diamond2906
02-08-2013, 08:07 PM
hello, just moments ago my corn snake fed, and i tried her on fluffs :) she normally has pinkies but i thought i would try it but it turns out she opened her mouth and tried to eat it but it was too big :/ but she didnt stop and i could see she was starting to suffocate and her eyes were popping out really big and she was panting and staying rather still so unfortunately ive just had to get my scissors and cut this thing up and as i did she still couldnt get it out her mouth you could see she was stressed so i did what i know im not ment to do and i pulled it out.. she coughed a little and made weird noises but after that she went straight back to the parts i cut up and continued to eat so i feel rather happy with myself that she is ok.. i was so worried and honestly if i could have avoided pulling it out i would of honestly not of but i could see it was either that or death. she is very jumpy now what is really hard to see as she is normally a content little snake.

Carpe Serpentis
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Right or wrong, you did what you thought you had to. I'm no expert, but I have had to make similar choices in my life. I'd give her some rest until some real experts post, but don't beat yourself up on this. We all have to make difficult decisions sometimes. I'd of done the same thing myself given that scenario. And right or wrong, I would have chalked it up to a learning experience.

AliCat37
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM
She wouldn't have suffocated.. It usually takes them a LOT longer to eat a larger sized mouse the first few times. Unfortunately if you pulled the mouse out, she's probably had several teeth broken, which may be a problem. If the snake truly couldn't have eaten it she would have spat it out on her own. I know it's scary to see them eat something so big the first few times! Last night I fed one of my smaller kids a half hopper since I'm out of fuzzies. It probably took her a half hour to get it in her mouth right.

diamond2906
02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
i agree but my lola is alot smaller for her age then most corn snakes she has a bubble on her head i have just uploaded some pictures of her and i have her sibbling they hatched the same time and lola is by far tiny tiny :( but she is 8months old and still the size of a hatchling. thats mainly why i was concerned :) thank you for replying x

Carpe Serpentis
02-08-2013, 08:41 PM
She wouldn't have suffocated.. It usually takes them a LOT longer to eat a larger sized mouse the first few times. Unfortunately if you pulled the mouse out, she's probably had several teeth broken, which may be a problem. If the snake truly couldn't have eaten it she would have spat it out on her own. I know it's scary to see them eat something so big the first few times! Last night I fed one of my smaller kids a half hopper since I'm out of fuzzies. It probably took her a half hour to get it in her mouth right.

Thanks for the information! I'm so glad there are people like you on this forum. And very glad I've only purchased one corn to learn on before going whole hog and buying several at a whim without gaining any practical first hand experience first. Again, thanks for the post. I'm always learning from people like you when I come on this forum and while I don't always let everyone know how much I appreciate their sharing, know that I do.

diamond2906
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1832&pictureid=13398

this is the size difference between them all :)
i got mia the oldest for a birthday present after studying how to care and collecting the best equipment for her. mia managed to escape! :( and i felt i had lost my baby forever (longest 3months of my life) we moved the same day we found her.. well the bottom floor flat did ( we were on the top) we had a phone call that night to say they found her.. but in the 3months of mia gone my partner suggested we get another as she thought we wouldnt find her again and turns out we did so we had 2 lol then lola stopped eating i tried everything so i phoned the guy i got her from and he said bring her back. that evening we took her back and the guy said would you like another free of charge as im going to be breeding bull pythons only and none wants this one as (unknown sex) is a striker and really puts people off.. (so me unwanted animal) i took her and it turns out she is a girl after calling her a guy haha :) so that is how i ended up with 3 beautiful girls
and i love every single one of them the same :)