PDA

View Full Version : Lesion on snake's head

Lesion on snake's head

wretchedprocess
02-10-2013, 06:14 AM
My pretty hypo bloodred boy October suddenly has a lesion on his head. I say "suddenly" because I had him out at a school science night a week ago, and spent plenty of time looking at him then. I did notice the scale was slightly discoloured, but I assumed it was a random thing which would come off with the next shed. Don't think so anymore.

Currently my corns are in Sterilite bins-- with proper ventillation holes, of course-- awaiting the triumphant return of their vivs from England with all the rest of their stuff. As a result, my usual checking didn't turn this up until today. The bins are dry, and I'm using paper towels as substrate.

He also has a few scales further down his body which are going black at the edges, but I'm not sure this is the same thing. My plan is to go to the drugstore and start betadine soaks tomorrow, and obviously take him to the vet if it gets much worse. But I wondered whether you guys thought it looked like anything in particular, and also whether you thought that neosporin would be indicated. It kinda looks like scale rot, but... On his head, and that's it? I haven't seen him rubbing his head on anything, and it doesn't look raw either.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/staysonpaper/7497572C-FB68-48F4-B633-220C9DB3B4CA-1818-00000179428887AF.jpg

Sorry this is the best photo I could come up with-- he did not enjoy being a wound-model. I think he might even have musked me a little!

Anyway, let me know if you think my treatment plan is appropriate. If it's more major than I think, or it gets worse, I can take him to the vet, but if it's as minor as I suspect (hope) it is, I'd rather do home treatment. It's mostly the fact that it's RIGHT ON HIS HEAD that's got me worried.

Thanks!

heatwave
02-10-2013, 06:19 AM
It does sound like scale rot. I have only had one case of it, with a rescue that had it realllly bad, and we did the vet route. Maybe someone else here will have some home tips for you. Hope the poor baby feels better!

MindsEyeExotics
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
To me it looks like he rubbed his head on something. The betadine soak can't hurt just in case it is scale rot. But it doesn't look too serious at this point. Just common sense of check his cage for anything sharp(such as the drilled holes sometimes have rough edges) and keep everything really clean until it clears up. I think he'll be just fine :)

dave partington
02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you feed pre-killed or frozen /thawed prey? I had something quite similar happen to one of mine that refuses dead food. I suspect (on mine) it may be from an injury sustained during the feasting ritual.

mattsnake
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Do you have drilled holes in your sterilites? Because drilled holes leave some sharp edges in the plastic.

wretchedprocess
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Oh, frozen/thawed. He's a good eater.

The holes are melted. Soldering iron is the way to go! (Especially if you have a respirator.)