PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory Infection Help

Respiratory Infection Help

jimmythetiger
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Ok, so went to feed the Corn today and he wasn't taking the food. Picked him up and a huge glob of drool dropped from his face. Obviously a respiratory infection. Anyway, won't be able to get to a vet until tuesday and I know I need to keep him nice and warm.

After inspecting my heating situation I've realized the UTH is barely putting out any heat.

Any advice as to how to keep him warm or anything else? Would keeping a bulb on him at night just stress him out?

Thanks

poison123
02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Are you positive its ri? Sometimes snakes take big drinks and when you pic them up they all the water come flowing out.

jimmythetiger
02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
His breathing sounded wet and the tank was pretty cold

poison123
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Is he making any noises while breathing?

jimmythetiger
02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Yes. Wet-ish sniffly sounds.

heatwave
02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
How long has his tank been cold, and how cold are we talking? Corns are pretty resiliant all the way down to like 68 degrees. (not that you should aim to keep them at that temp but still) I know a lot of people that keep them in their temp controlled house with just a little UTH for a hot spot.

A red, blue or black bulb probably wont stress him out, and it is a good idea to raise temps if he has an RI. I would not put a harsh white bulb on him if at all possible. Ideally a new UTH should be purchased along with a probe and thermostat to make sure the proper heat is being developed. Corns dont bask, and heat lamps will reaaaally dry out the air in a tank.

if its an RI a transtracheal wash and culture is needed to make sure the right antibiotics are being given. Oral antibiotics are typically ineffective but nebulized antibiotics or injections are usually excellent. RIs can get serious quick so vet trip ASAP is important.

Hope he feels better soon!

poison123
02-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Corns dont bask
Sorry but i disagree with this. Mine basks all the time.

jimmythetiger
02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Temp was at around 72 and the probe was at the bottom by the mat. I will have to look around and see if I have a black bulb lying around somewhere but I don't think I have anything other than white. I'll spring for a heat bulb and a new mat tomorrow, thanks

heatwave
02-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Sorry but i disagree with this. Mine basks all the time.

Do they bask out of necessity? (is it their only heat?) or do they prefer a bulb to an UTH? I've seen corns lay out on a surface warmed by a bulb, but rarely bask in the true sense of the word.