PDA

View Full Version : think our snake is dying advice needed urgently

think our snake is dying advice needed urgently

Tulip
02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
heya, we got a corn snake which is about 10 years old )so we were told when we got him, )
last weekend we noticed that he was in his water bowl, which is not something he usually does, we thought something might be wrong, the next day i realised his bum was really puffy, and blocked, we tried to massage and bath for a few days when massaging a little water came out but no poo, i could feel a lump in his bum area but didnt know if it was poo or what, anyway yesturday i left him alone hed been pulled enough, this morning he was leaning on his water bowl and i thought he must be comfy like that, still no poo, but tonight i came up and i could smell a horrid smell i have actually smelt nothing like it, sour dead is how id explain it, i picked him up (was still in se place as this morning) and his bum and tail is limp, it looks bruised, its a bluey black colour and he has no movement down his back half near his bum or tail, hes trying to drag himself around his tank, please any advise for me tonight would be a help, we have no idea what it could be, weve read about tumours etc, but the worrying part for us is how 'dead' his back end is has anyone ever had anything like this?

thank you for your help

heatwave
02-14-2013, 06:45 PM
TAKE HIM TO A VET! Immediatly!

It sounds like he is horrifically blocked or could even be an eggbound female if he hasnt been properly sexed.... VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET! VET!.......

rich333
02-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Yep! Pretty much sums it up......

heatwave
02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
What a horrible way to die :( Days of increasingly painful blockage and loss of blood circulation until your body just gives up.... ugh....

Tulip
02-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Hes still alive this morning which is surprising, he looked so ill last night i thought he was gunna die in the night :(
i will ring the vets this morning anyone know what they will wanna do and is there a chance that he wont make it, what about his back end?
i cant believe how quickly hes gone downhill

SquamishSerpents
02-15-2013, 01:11 AM
By now, he's probably got an infection from whatever is blocking him up. The sour dead smell was probably a regurgitation if you've continued feeding him up until now.

Definitely need to be at a vet like, yesterday, but since that isn't possible you need to go AS SOON AS YOU CAN or you will lose your snake.

And even then, yes. Even with vet intervention at this point he may not make it. But you made the choice of getting a pet snake and that choice includes providing all the care and comfort it needs. Right now he is probably not suffering greatly and if the vet thinks he won't make it, I can guarantee humane euthanasia would be a million times better than dying of what could be paralysis, internal infection, or impaction.

I am rooting for your guy!

Tulip
02-15-2013, 01:20 AM
we havent fed him since not last weekend but weekend before, he hasnt regurged, but i think he might have possibly last weekend, i clearee out what was still a mouse but smlimy and really flat?.. and on inspection last night was deff his bum that smelt.
im gutted because obviously we were bathing his and massaging him, to try get his poo moving and i just wanted to gove him a rest and this has happened in a day?
i know i owe him the care he deserves, just hope it works? im just thibk if hes already lost movent in his tail and back end can he get it back?

weve had him well over 2 years and when we first got him his doet waz all over the place and his heating was all wrong and everything, we managed to get him back on track but hes always been a funny snake with his diet

Cronsnakes
02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
we havent fed him since not last weekend but weekend before, he hasnt regurged, but i think he might have possibly last weekend, i clearee out what was still a mouse but smlimy and really flat?.. and on inspection last night was deff his bum that smelt.
im gutted because obviously we were bathing his and massaging him, to try get his poo moving and i just wanted to gove him a rest and this has happened in a day?
i know i owe him the care he deserves, just hope it works? im just thibk if hes already lost movent in his tail and back end can he get it back?

weve had him well over 2 years and when we first got him his doet waz all over the place and his heating was all wrong and everything, we managed to get him back on track but hes always been a funny snake with his diet

Get him to the vet as soon as possible, massaging is temporarily but will not help in the long run. Basically if he's not in the vet soon he will die and if he does get to the vet it might be to late, might i ask how old he is? by the way don't take anything that i've said harshly.

Cronsnakes
02-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Get him to the vet as soon as possible, massaging is temporarily but will not help in the long run. Basically if he's not in the vet soon he will die and if he does get to the vet it might be to late, might i ask how old he is? by the way don't take anything that i've said harshly.

Disregard what i said about age*

Tulip
02-15-2013, 03:20 AM
i havent taken anything harshly, i justed wanted some advice, ive got 15 minutes until our vets opens so i will be ringing straight away

Alicia P
02-15-2013, 03:24 AM
I hope your vet can get you in right away and that everything turns out alright. Please give us an update later ((hug))

diamondlil
02-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Any joy from calling the vet?

DMong
02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I am betting your poor snake is in DESPERATE need of some fast and serious antibiotic treatment even if there is no immediate blockage right now. The fowl smell was definitely from severe necrosis (rot) going on inside its intestinal tract.

I hope it isn't a situation of "too little too late" now...*sigh*

I sincerely hope the snake can pull through this late in the game.

~Doug

MindsEyeExotics
02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I once found a wild snake that was obviously impacted and had that very bad rot smell. Tried to soak and massage the lump out, but unfortunately it didn't make it even a couple of hours, might have been the stress of human intervention, but I didn't know what else to do as it was laying beside a stream in obvious distress..I hope it goes better for your guy, but also be prepared that it's likely not good as circulation has probably been cut off for a while now.. :(

HVani
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Any updates ?

Geodude
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I hope everything is okay! Im so sorry that this is happening :(

BigByrd47119
03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Any update?

LMS68
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Last update was a month ago. :(

BigByrd47119
03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Last update was a month ago. :(

Yea I know...I know what that usually means, I was just hoping may e this time it meant everything was fine and nothing else to report on...