PDA

View Full Version : Tough to tell when Ty is in blue

Tough to tell when Ty is in blue

chag67
02-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Ty is a Gold Dust motley. I offer him a small fuzzy since he is 29 gm. He refused, so naturally I was a bit confused. I put him back in his viv and was going to wait until next week to offer again. I notice a couple of hours later in his viv a full shed (eye caps and all). I guess that is why he refused, so I will offer him the small fuzzy tomorrow.

My "problem is that because of his color, it is difficult to tell when he is in blue. He doesn't really get "dull". I need to pay more attention to his eyes when he gets around the 6 week mark. He shed 7 weeks and 3 days from his last shed.

I am thankful that since I acquired Ty, both of his sheds have been complete. Let's me know that I have his humidity just right.

Nanci
02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
There are two easy clues. He will become inactive. If you miss this- weigh him at each feeding. If his weight increases more than usual, he hasn't pooped, and is blue.

chag67
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
The inactive part is tough because Ty is pretty lazy. I rarely see him out of his hides. I'm pretty sure he is active at night but I'm sleeping. I just got my scale fixed so I plan on weighing him every feeding.

yojoe05
02-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Even with pale colored snakes if you start paying attention you'll notice a change in color just before a shed. Our hypo plasma is a very pale snake but she'll go to almost a solid ashy white color just before a shed and the day after the ashy white scales she'll still get the solid blue eyes. I had never seen any signs either until I saw her in her viewable hide just before a shed. Like Nanci said though if he disappears for about 3-4 days and you haven't seen him at all then you can pretty much gurantee he's heading into a shed.

chag67
02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
What is interesting with Ty is that he didn't get to ornery when I was handling him yesterday and even today right before he shed. It seems I have a corn that doesn't mind being handled before shed but won't eat before shed. I can live with that. Lol. I would much rather him be calm, laid back, and docile, especially with my son.

yojoe05
02-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah ours is pretty docile and trusting when she's in shed even when she's in full on blue she doesn't stress. Her skin is really sensitive for a day or two after the shed though and so she'll hide then. Now that I can tell when she's shedding I don't feed her if she's at or past the capped eyes stage but she has no problem eating during a shed as long as she can see. Overall ours is a really great girl and she's very relaxed as well.

chag67
02-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Ty apparently doesn't like to eat after a shed. I'm just going to wait until next feeding time to offer him. Especially since I'm upping his food size to fuzzies. He ate one about 4 weeks ago. Regurged the next one a week later. He's been back on pinkies the past 2 weeks. Here's to hoping he keeps the next fuzzie down this Sunday.