• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moist shed hide/recomendation

LGRIGG

calling all old hands. I have been having problems with patchy shed(six corns with two more on the way). I feel sure it is due to low humidity.The fact that I have chapped lips is a dead giveaway.lol!
I have begun to use a moist hide container with moistened aspen to avoid having to soak(which does work well itself - just don't like to have to do it all the time). I put the moist hide in when I see they are in blue. It seems to help.

What I am wondering is does it make any difference healthwise what I use in these containers? Would vermiculite or sphagnum moss be better?
Can I leave them in for more than a week? The snakes seem to enjoy them even when not in blue.
I've read quite alot here and love the pro advice. I also see that aspen appears to be the most popular all around choice as subtrate however I was recently warned by a local herp enthusiast that I would definately end up with mites at some point by using aspen. He says to use newspaper or paper towels. eeew creepy crawly bug infestation! Any thoughts? Thanks for your input. Lynn

I've used aspen since 2005, from a variety of sources, a variety of brands, and I have never had mites.

Aspen molds when wet. Use sphagnum moss in the moist hide.

What are you keeping the snakes in? Bins or glass tanks?

This winter has been awful for humidity in this area. I finally bought a humidifier for reptile room. I can't remember a winter in NC ever being as dry as this one.

I've used aspen for 15 years and never had mites.

Whoever you talked to might be confusing reptiles mites with wood lice or spring tails. I did, many moons ago, get a bag of aspen from wholesaler that had some spring tails in it. Those are harmless to the reptiles and are only a minor annoyance. For what it's worth, the wholesaler had a massive open air building and kept all kinds of garden supplies, so that was probably the origin.

But that was only one bag out of 100's of pounds of aspen I've used over the years.

You should have no problems at all with aspen if you maintain clean cages. Nanci is right, it can mold if it get's wet, but that should be the worst of the problems. Aspen is awesome for corns snakes.

With the moist hides, I use sphagnum moss as well. Just wring it out really well to where it just barely feels moist. Then mist the cage as needed.

Last edited:
yes, I too use the spaghnum moss and find that it works well.
and it wont grow mold! ;)

I also wouldn't leave the moist hide in the tank any longer then the shed cycle, as too high of humidity will cause scale rot or a RI.. but if you find your snakes really love the moss hides, keeping DRY spaghnum moss in their while they arnt in shed is perfectly fine.

Alot of corn snakes love their moss hides, you just need to be sure their isn't any moisture in it when its not needed.;)

I hope this helps!

Back