PDA

View Full Version : head bobbing

head bobbing

yojoe05
02-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Rapunzel started bobbing her head back and forth today while we had her out. She'd stick her head out and start bobbing it back and forth gently. I read that it could be that she's having trouble focusing on things according to another thread on here. Anybody else got any ideas on this. Its just a slight side to side sway.

Jakegottabigsnake
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM
I want to know that too. Mine does it but only outside when its windy or if im near a fan. I dont know if they do that when they feel a breeze or what?

Carpe Serpentis
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Is any music playing?
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/stargazer/

Stargazing appears to be a simple recessive gene, so it could be bred into any corn with a little bit of patience and hard work. There are some good videos of this on youtube if you like to surf.

Carpe Serpentis
02-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Please understand, I'm not saying this is what it is by any means. Just suggesting you look at some videos and see if that is what you are talking about or something different.

yojoe05
02-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah I didn't bother bringing up stargazer because it's not that prominent its not the really twitchy, jerky movements it's just a casual bobbing of the head from side to side and then she stops and goes on about her business and then will do it again after a bit. She doesn't normally do it just earlier today during a handling session.

Jakegottabigsnake
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah I didn't bother bringing up stargazer because it's not that prominent its not the really twitchy, jerky movements it's just a casual bobbing of the head from side to side and then she stops and goes on about her business and then will do it again after a bit. She doesn't normally do it just earlier today during a handling session.

same exact way with mine

Jakegottabigsnake
02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
he barely does it, its not often and he doesnt jerk it around really fast like in the vid.

heatwave
02-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Is she an amel based phase?

Amel's, because of their red eyes, can sometimes have trouble focusing their eyes (they have really poor eyesight) and "weave" their head from side to side to try to get a better idea of whats going on. Its actually really really common in mammals, especially rats, ferrets, etc, but I have seen it in snakes too.

yojoe05
02-23-2013, 08:43 PM
She's a hypo plasma she has the red eyes though so I wondered if it might be light sensitivity since I had her out earlier than normal to feed her today.

Thrall
02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
I have a rat with the dilute gene that give them the dark ruby eyes, and we actually named her wobbles because she is constantly weaving back and forth xD She's fine when she's running around and whatnot, but as soon as she stops, or she's looking at something she's curious about she's wobbling back and forth :)

It's actually pretty adorable. Interesting that it can happen in snakes - I had no idea.