PDA

View Full Version : More active than normal

More active than normal

Misskri
03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. My son has had his corn snake for over a year. No issues...feeding once a week, shedding normally, etc. until last week.
Feeding day...he wouldn't eat. We tried again yesterday and again...no interest. He's been VERY active, too. He moves his hides, slithering all over.
Is this normal or something I should be concerned about? I've googled a couple reptile vets in our area, just in case we need to take him in.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Justine66
03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm no expert!

but if its a male like you say he is.. and he's a year old or so, it sounds like he's just got other things on his mind! (its spring and its about the time of year where he would normally be making babies!)

its normal for them to go off feeding for even a couple months, this time of year.
hell be fine trust me! he's probably just "lonely and looking for love" ;)

Misskri
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Oh no...poor guy.
Thank you for the quick response.
I'm wondering when we should try feeding him again...two mice have already been thrown out.

Justine66
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
yeah... I would try giving him a couple of weeks.
try saving the mice and waiting.

this makes sence though!
I'm glad I could help :o

berrinmichelle
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
same thing is happening to my albino corn snake! i haven't had her (?) sexed yet, planning on doing that today actually. so i don't know if it's actually a female or a male. but she hasn't eaten the two times i've offered it to her, and she's been VERY active lately. more so than normal. on the flip side, my ball python (known as a "he" but never sexed) was active when i first got him (from a private party, not a pet shop) and now all he wants to do is ball up under his hide day and night :\

starsevol
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh no...poor guy.
I'm wondering when we should try feeding him again...two mice have already been thrown out.

A few of my males are off food now, one in particular Mojo, is actively rearranging his cage constantly even though he has already "found love" this year.

Pyzik
03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Do females act the same this time of year?
I plan on my snake being female (I want it to be larger), so just wondering.

WestCoast_Redneck
03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Justine66;1551114]yeah... I would try giving him a couple of weeks.
/QUOTE]

I agree with Justine. Give him a week or two and try again. Two weeks is nothing for a healthy male, and I've read on here that this is quite typical of male behavior during spring. Just make sure he has fresh water and watch his behavior. If he appears to calm down and relax in his viv, I would go ahead and try feeding him. Otherwise, a few weeks won't hurt.
I'm not sure about females getting antsy for mating season as much males, but if she is being abnormally active and going off food, I would question if she is a he.

starsevol
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Do females act the same this time of year?
I plan on my snake being female (I want it to be larger), so just wondering.

Most of my biggest corns are males.......

Pyzik
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Most of my biggest corns are males.......

?? Well now you threw a wrench in my plans. LOL
I thought I read that females were normally larger.
(Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread. Still learning)

Prattj
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
I think female ball pythons are larger than male ball pythons, but im not sure about corns. This post is funny because i just posted something almost identical in the behavior column. Anyways, mine is doing the exact same thing right now. So no worries :)

nicklandovich
03-14-2013, 07:01 PM
A few of my males are off food now, one in particular Mojo, is actively rearranging his cage constantly even though he has already "found love" this year.

When you say rearranging, what do you mean? I'm in love with watching snakes do just about anything so activity like that sounds cool.

starsevol
03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
When you say rearranging, what do you mean? I'm in love with watching snakes do just about anything so activity like that sounds cool.

I use newspaper for substrate and he is pushing it all around, crinkling it up, moving his water bowl and spilling water all over......just being an active PITA!!! :)

Pyzik
03-14-2013, 08:03 PM
It just seems so crazy to me that these snakes know its "that" season since they're in a controlled environment all year and don't experience seasons.

Misskri
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Update on Serpie (my son's corn snake).
We noticed the other day that Serpie had calmed down a bit (his hides were staying in the general area where they usually are).
We went to feed him on Tuesday and he ate with no problem!
Now he has a full belly...he's been relaxing as his usual snake self!

hypnoctopus
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh no...poor guy.

You just need another snake so any uneaten mice don't go to waste! ;)

Misskri
03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
At hypnoctopus...tell me about it! Threw out one large mouse and one small rat (I thought presenting Serpie with something bigger would help). We're back to large mice!!!

rrowdy
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I have a 4' Male that's off his feed and being a real PITA. Burrowing under his heavy water container and spilling his water, tipping his tree
over, lifting his hide. It's just "that time of the year".

Misskri
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
We're definitely learning the ropes with Serpie this year.
He ate fine last week, and calmed down. Now he is all over the place again! Ugh

KyGirl
03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
My girl has been really active the last couple of weeks. I know she is a she because she laid eggs. She ate with gusto but within a few hours was out and about. I was worried so I checked her viv for a regurge. Nothing. She still had a bulge but she was restless. She has been out and about almost continuously. She doesn't even hide from me like she used too. usually if she sees me moving around she goes to her hide. Lately she just stares at me like "what". She stretches out in front of her viv for a while then goes back to trying to get out.

wildlifephotographer
03-19-2013, 01:09 AM
My two adult males have been very active as well... they are so annoying this time of year! They constantly make a mess tipping water bowls and having me have to change bedding/spot clean every time.. which is at least once a day! And they are constantly trying to escape their enclosures .. I've caught them in the act a few times and have been lucky so far that neither of them have actually fully escaped yet! They are both in a tub/rack system so I can't put locks on their enclosures and it's very frustrating because I'm worried they will get out eventually!

wildlifephotographer
03-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Oh and my female adult Anery is not been feeding for the past 34 days and feels like she is full of eggs although I have not put her with a male this year!

SquamishSerpents
03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
All you lucky ducks with males off feed...mine all still want to eat AND breed! Could use the financial break, lol.

wildlifephotographer
03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
My boys are still eating just extremely active.

Phil1ooo
03-27-2013, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=Justine66;1551114]yeah... I would try giving him a couple of weeks.
/QUOTE]

I agree with Justine. Give him a week or two and try again. Two weeks is nothing for a healthy male, and I've read on here that this is quite typical of male behavior during spring. Just make sure he has fresh water and watch his behavior. If he appears to calm down and relax in his viv, I would go ahead and try feeding him. Otherwise, a few weeks won't hurt.
I'm not sure about females getting antsy for mating season as much males, but if she is being abnormally active and going off food, I would question if she is a he.

On the upside, mine has gone 5weeks without eating when spring started. When I read up on them I found that they can go a couple of months without food depending on the time of year.

At times he even stays in his hide for 6 to 8 day at a time. I never bother him when he's there and he is always come out eventually.

I feed mine once a week but never force feed him, meaning I only handle him or feed him when he is out of his hide.

What I have found is sticking them out side in full sun light on a nice hot day makes him lively and hungry. My kids sit there for hours watching him.

Don't worry yourself as he will eat when he is hungry that is for sure.