PDA

View Full Version : Snake vets in North FL

Snake vets in North FL

CandyCorn90
03-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Can anyone recommend a good one in this area? I recently acquired a young California king snake with heat trauma and a host of other odd quirks/behaviors that seem to be caused by it. I have searched the Internet and books/fourms trying to find someone else who's had a snake/experiance like this and can find nothing so I'd really like to get him to a good vet to see what they have to say.

GoFride
03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Welcome! There are lots of vet listings for Florida (as well as the other southeastern states) in the Under A Southern Sun Forum. Hope this helps!

CandyCorn90
03-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I will check that out! Thank you!

Nanci
03-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I LOVE my reptile/dog/bird vet!

Dr. Pat Gauvin
All Creatures Animal Hospital, Gainesville
352 335-0041

It's pretty easy to find- on 34th Street just a little bit south of 441- so you wouldn't get lost.

He's been practicing for decades, and has cared for my animals since 1998. I can't think of one single instance I've been disappointed by his services in 15 years. I've taken snakes, lizards, pigeons, a small parrot, and of course my dogs. He was my reptile vet for _years_ before I got a dog, though.

I have been to UF for a reptile ONE time, on a holiday, in an emergency, and I was EXTREMELY disappointed. They couldn't differentiate between a bearded dragon and an iguana, and after expensive testing, couldn't come up with anything, but offered even MORE expensive testing. When I brought my lizard to Dr. Pat the following Monday, he said, just leave a message- we check the answering machine- if it's an emergency of course I'll see your pet!

CandyCorn90
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you Nanci. I will definitely check him out. I was considering UF but after what you have said I don't think I will. I know they will be expensive as heck and if they don't know much there is no way.

Nanci
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Another reason I dislike UF- they don't even let you go back with them to the exam room! That's BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!