PDA

View Full Version : Emaciated Topaz Corn

Emaciated Topaz Corn

jtroutt19
03-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Hey guys I work at a reputable pet store in Indianapolis, We found this little corn today that looks just horrible. I was allowed to take it home. Upon doing some research I found that it is a Topaz and really want to keep this guy alive. The housing is only temporary, just so everyone knows. What I need to know is how to keep it from dying. I don't know how old he is or how long its been since he has ate. Any advice will help. Was going to buy a pinkie tomorrow and feed him tomorrow night. Thanks in advance for any help.

Shiari
03-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Not a topaz. This cute little guy is a normal.

He needs to be kept warm. As there is not enough room in there for a temperature gradient, I'd probably keep it at 80 degrees. Don't handle him. Keep him somewhere quiet, especially after he eats if he's willing to.

rich333
03-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Ok.....

Several things.....

1st) warm spot...85* by way of a UTH (Under Tank Heater) with thermostat, cool spot room temp..mid 70's.

2nd) Get some Nutribac from Kathy Loves Website Cornutopia.

3rd) when you feed the Pinkie....you might want to slit it on the back....this will aid in the digestive process. you wanna help this guy as much as possible.

4th) Your li'l corn isn't a Topaz corn.

Edit: Shiari beat me to it!

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
I will take a better pic tomorrow. Had a local breeder tell me he was a topaz. But would love to get others opinions. Is tomorrow ok to try and feed him. Also At our store we feed live so thats what I was going to try. Live pinkie. Also got a ten gallon I am going to be getting set up in the next 2 days for him.

Shiari
03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
The breeder is plain wrong.

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/topaz/?sid=5bcea085984d6295f2a47292a01fc7de - Topaz

I would set up that 10 gallon sooner if you can. Hopefully he'll take the live pink. If not, freeze it and thaw it out later to try again.

rich333
03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
They will convert to frozen/Thawed fairly easily.... I'd go that rout while he's still a young'n.

rich333
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
The breeder is plain wrong.

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/topaz/?sid=5bcea085984d6295f2a47292a01fc7de - Topaz

I would set up that 10 gallon sooner if you can. Hopefully he'll take the live pink. If not, freeze it and thaw it out later to try again.

Agreed 110%

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I will let the breeder know. He used to do corns a while back now his main focus is Ball's. He told me he was going by the pics on VMSherp.com. Also was planing on buying both live and frozen tomorrow. I get em for dirt cheap since i work there.

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Also, any guess on how old this guys is?

Shiari
03-10-2013, 12:34 AM
could be anywhere from a month or two... to 6 months or more, depending on how much/often he was fed.

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Wow that much of a gap huh. Is there no sure fire way to figure it out?

rich333
03-10-2013, 12:44 AM
None that i can think of...Unless you are privy to it's hatch date. :)

corns can grow at different rates depending on How Much/How often they are fed. I've hatched babies.....all are fed on the same day...have been from the beginning.....Some weigh 40 grams...some weigh 60 grams...some Bigger still....

the environment they are in plays part in it as well.......

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Well good to know. Thanks for all the info! I will keep you guys updated on this little guy!

diamondlil
03-10-2013, 05:52 AM
What do you mean you 'found' him? Was he an escapee or in a new delivery?

bitsy
03-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Not sure I'd describe him as "emaciated". He's certainly on the slim side but I've seen far worse. Don't think he's in any danger of fading away just yet :)

Nanci
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
He also needs something soft to burrow in, like aspen, not bark chunks.

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Will do, I'm at work today so I will pick up something better for it. We are thinking he was an escape. It happens, just not to often here. Thanks for all the info guys.

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 08:41 PM
No feeding response to a frozen pinkie. We do not have any live pinkies till thurs. Should I just buy an anole to make sure he eats at this point or what? I left the pinkie in there for now but no interest in it.

jtroutt19
03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I finally got him to drink a little by using a syringe and dripping it on the front of his mouth.

Nythain
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
No feeding response to a frozen pinkie. We do not have any live pinkies till thurs. Should I just buy an anole to make sure he eats at this point or what? I left the pinkie in there for now but no interest in it.

You just found him a couple days ago right? Probably best to leave him be for at least a few days to a week or so before trying again. Give him a chance to de-stress and get used to his new environment. He's gotta feel secure before eating or he'll either refuse to eat, or even worse, regurge his meal.

I'm definitely no expert, but I've heard that too many failed feeding attempts too close together can eventually turn a snake off of that type of food as they get used to refusing it. Definitely want to avoid that outcome.

jtroutt19
03-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah I had another person tell me that also. And yes this is the second night he has been at my house. Before the whole drinking from the syringe tonight i was not seeing any flicking of his tongue, after he had a nice big drink he got a little more active and started flicking he tongue again. I am moving him to a 10 gallon tank tomorrow to provide better accommodations. I guess I will try giving him 3-4 days after I move him to acclimate then try feeding again. Thanks for the help bro!

heatwave
03-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Just wanted to add, I definitely wouldnt feed him if he doesn't have sufficient heat yet. he needs heat to digest and if he doesn't have it then hes going to have digestion problems, probably regurge, and make himself more sick. He will need a day or two at the proper temperature gradient before he is physically able to eat and digest properly. He doesn't look emaciated, just a little on the thin side, so I wouldnt be too concerned about shoving food down his throat yet. Also, a vet check to make sure he doesnt have parasites would be a good idea since he has probably been eating whatever he can find around the pet store.

bitsy
03-11-2013, 04:40 AM
We usually advise leaving new arrivals alone for at least a week, to let them get used to the new smells and sounds. He honestly isn't emaciated and as long as he's active and alert, there's no rush to feed him.

As heatwave says, the main thing to worry about at the moment is the heat. If he's too hot or too cold he won't want to eat anyway, and if he did, you could risk a regurge.

heatwave
03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Hows the little guy doing?