PDA

View Full Version : It looks like theres cotton in my snakes tub?

It looks like theres cotton in my snakes tub?

Cronsnakes
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
It's by her water bowl (Where she poops) and it literally looks like someone put cotton there? i showed my mom and she said it doesn't look like mildew and it also doesn't look like mouse fur at all. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow because i just fed her right now and she struck at me when i opened her lid to feed i'm not sure what it is i've had regurge problems with her in the past. Her hotspot feels warm to the touch and yeah any suggestions like i said i'll get a picture up tomorrow.

rrowdy
03-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Depending what substrate your using it might be fungus. Fungi can grow amazingly quick if conditions are right.

Nanci
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
What color is it and what does it smell like?

VampMN
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't have any advice about the stuff you found in the tank, however, I am wondering; Do you have a thermometer on your uth? Your hand is not a good indicator of temperature. What feels warm to you, may be hot for your snake. When I have felt the glass above my uth in the past, I have only barely felt any warmth at all. Really only noticed the warmth when compared to the glass on the cool side.

Jessica29
03-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Sounds like mold, especially since its right by the water bowl. Even if its not, don't leave it in there. Take it out ASAP.

Justine66
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
yeah I second what jessica29 said^^^^

I would get that out of their right away!!!!

bitsy
03-11-2013, 04:45 AM
My ex b/f had this problem with another species - it's a mould or fungus and it indicates that the atmosphere is too humid and there are nooks and crannies where it's able to get a foothold and grow.

You need to completely empty/disinfect the tank, throw away anything disposable and replace it, and disinfect anything that is going to go back in. You then need to find a way to keep the humidity in the tank down so that it doesn't regrow.

I've no idea whether the mould/fungus itself is harmful to the snake, but I know that being in a damp or mouldy building makes me cough and aggravates my lungs. I can't imagine it would be helpful for a Corn. Plus if it's humid enough to encourage that kind of growth, then it may well be too humid for your Corn.

diamondlil
03-11-2013, 05:48 AM
I don't have any advice about the stuff you found in the tank, however, I am wondering; Do you have a thermometer on your uth? Your hand is not a good indicator of temperature. What feels warm to you, may be hot for your snake. When I have felt the glass above my uth in the past, I have only barely felt any warmth at all. Really only noticed the warmth when compared to the glass on the cool side.
Agreed, your hand is not a thermometer! You really do need one so you can monitor the temperature properly. Digital ones are cheap from gardening depts in big stores.

Becca58
03-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Bitsy is right; follow her advice!

My ex b/f had this problem with another species - it's a mould or fungus and it indicates that the atmosphere is too humid and there are nooks and crannies where it's able to get a foothold and grow.

You need to completely empty/disinfect the tank, throw away anything disposable and replace it, and disinfect anything that is going to go back in. You then need to find a way to keep the humidity in the tank down so that it doesn't regrow.

I've no idea whether the mould/fungus itself is harmful to the snake, but I know that being in a damp or mouldy building makes me cough and aggravates my lungs. I can't imagine it would be helpful for a Corn. Plus if it's humid enough to encourage that kind of growth, then it may well be too humid for your Corn.

AliCat37
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Another vote for fungus!

Cronsnakes
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Ok i just cleaned it thoroughly btw the only humidity is by her water bowl not anywhere near her tank, i have a thermometer and it reads 85 degrees i will be getting her a tank pretty soon to get appropriate air flow going and prevent this from happening again. Thanks for all the help everyone, if i notice anything wrong with her i'll post here i will put up a picture just in case it happens to somebody else and they need to identify it.