PDA

View Full Version : About poo

About poo

SexyHero
07-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Since I have not bought my first corn yet, i wanted to know if the poo is really messy and smelly (and is it alot)....just wanting to know what I'm in for....the benifits of these wonderful animals are much more important though!

J_Daniels
07-02-2004, 12:18 PM
The poo can have quite the robust aroma, but this usually isn't a problem if you a)clean out your Viv regularly and b)use a nice absorbant substrate, something like aspen bedding.

As far as the size of it, that depends totally on what your snake is eating. Obviously, a pinky makes a much smaller turd than an adult mouse will. Anyway, it hardens pretty quick, and is a sinch to scoop out of there.

Just don't be freaked out if when your snake feeds on larger prey, the poo has a nice soft fur coat. (Fur is, for the most part indegestible).

Jason

Kel
07-02-2004, 02:38 PM
And don't forget that as an adult, you'll only feed it every week to fourteen days or so. Which means it's probably only going to poop once or twice a week. A viv is a lot less smelly and easier to keep fresh than a constantly-used cat litter (I know that one from experience!).

J_Daniels
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Kel
And don't forget that as an adult, you'll only feed it every week to fourteen days or so. Which means it's probably only going to poop once or twice a week. A viv is a lot less smelly and easier to keep fresh than a constantly-used cat litter (I know that one from experience!).

Amen to that.

Jenn
07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
I keep my corn snake in my room and use repti bark as my substrate. As long as i clean out the poo when i notice it I really have little to no problem with smell. You should be fine.

SexyHero
07-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Cool. litter boxes do get nasty! I have 2 cats....lol. One of my cats has a hairball once a day so if the corn is eating fuzzies, i won't mind the fuzzy poo...lol